View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #37
I_Am
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: HELP/SUPPORT If you are struggling with feelings/emotions? support here..!

I have two daughters of 15 and 10 years old. The elder is becoming more and more engaged in writing, analyzing and experiencing the world (and as a father I might NOT always agree in how she approaches boys...but I guess I am to grow into that as well...gnnnn). The younger is a sensible, sensitive, intuitive girl sometimes living in her own world.

I believe that one thing is extremely important: To help the child to awaken to the world. To think for themselves. To recieve the world in their own way. In this also lies the right to revolt to the parents. But also of course to get inspired by them.

For me this means that I try to act as a good example as a father and a human being (although this sometimes is tested to the extreme...). I do not wish to introduce them into some of the issues of urgency that happens in the world today. But when they ask me of their own curiosity - I answer them...I also pursue the questions with counter questions, so that they themselves start to wonder and search. May that question be regarding why the sky is blue, global warming or the meaning of a strange dream and what it means to be the guardian of the family as I am and share with one elder relative.

The elder daughter is, however quite intellectual, very spiritual and sensitive for the echoes of the unknown. And I tries to support her - not as a teacher, but in my way of being open and non-judging. She has had some ghost experiences, but is not afraid. I have shared them with her, myself trying to connect with the ghosts to be certain that no harm is at hand.

But I think it so very important not to convince, nor convert your children into you own ways of experiensing the world; they really must do that travel themselves. I may show them that I am there, not as a teacher/priest - but a friend and support and inspiration.

I have a friend who is very much into Angels and aspect of that. She has also integrated her three children very much into that way of look onto the world, and I must say that I disagree with that - they should not be sucked into your believes and excercises at early ages. It might even do more harm than help them. You should not as a parent act as a spiritual teacher to your own kids, unless you really consider yourself being a true spiritual master.

Show them that there are many trues. That the universe is open to many ways of percieving it. That you as a being is here to experience and reflect and most important of all - to do your own thinking.

The seeds sown into the children of your's will grow, but never in the ways you expect. If you are lucky, they will share some of their spirictual search with you later on. But you should also expect that they will superceed you!

I often come back to Khalil Gibrain's "the Prophet", which has helped me so much in the life:

On Children

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehorse10 View Post
~advise PLEASE!!!

Obviously, i dont wish to scare her...and am VERY cautious when bringing up/responding to issues related to our forum here....
so I contantly swing with the notion of how much do I tell her?? do I just ''let her be, and enjoy whats left of 'normality'' as she knows it?? ....and/or.... prepare her mentally and spiritually as much as I can??
She is aware that 'mum is busy with research regarding changes in our planet' and I have prepared her for the possiblilty of having to get rid of most our possessions at some point and for us to be going on a 'travelling adventure'together, and she seemed to be cool with that idea!
...As a parent to a child I adore and love, I obviously want to do the 'right thing'
firehorse
I_Am is offline   Reply With Quote