View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
TraineeHuman
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Desire Is The Root of Nothing - A Fresh Look at Law of Attraction

As far as I'm aware, the LOA ideas historically came from some nineteenth century thinkers involved in founding Christian Science. And that can be traced further back, perhaps, to neo-Platonism (which strongly influenced most or all of Christian dogma).

It seems to me that the LOA is a universal principle, if it's stated in a form such as: "Whatever you give out, the Universe will make sure you get plenty more." If we think of the Universe as God (which is, roughly speaking, correct), it's like God is saying: "Because I love you, and because you've shown that that's what you really want, I'm going to be like an indulgent parent and not deny your getting even more of the same. Whatever your actions prove you want." The only trouble is, most of our thoughts and desires are sub-conscious, or unconscious. People talk of the LOA only taking into account how they shape their conscious thoughts. Just because your conscious thoughts say: "I deserve a billion dollars tomorrow," that doesn't mean your sub-conscious isn't screaming back: "Nonsense. You haven't done anything that deserves that big a reward." And the sub-conscious thoughts are much stronger, and therefore God will manifest them rather than the conscious cheques.

Mind you, we are all more valuable than society tells most of us we are. But we need to get in touch with that worth at a deeper level. It usually takes a lot more than conscious affirmations to do that.
TraineeHuman is offline   Reply With Quote