View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #27
recallone
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Everyone should watch this...

You see, the very act of asking the question 'What is the right thing to do?' is endorsing the polarity of it - that there is a right and wrong action to take. That's the point I've been trying to make. I can tell you what I would do in a situation like the one you described, which would be right for me - but maybe not so right for someone else. There is no right and wrong thing to do.

If I saw three guys beating the **** out of someone I knew, I can tell you without reservation that I would jump in and deal as much damage to those three individuals as needed to protect the one being attacked. But I'm a big guy, and I'm dangerous in a physical confrontation. A 100 lb woman, on the other hand wouldn't likely take the same approach for obvious reasons. And the three people, for all you know - could have just caught that one person doing something that absolutely justified a beat-down. Too much is unknown.

Absolutes of wrong and right are about as plausible as saying that everybody fits one of twelve personality types on the astrological wheel. There are far too many variables to make that argument viable.

So, what's right for you? Go inside and get your answer.
recallone is offline   Reply With Quote