View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #41
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Red Letter Church

It's tempting to turn a focus on the Teachings of Jesus into a harangue! To lash out! To use a phrase of Christ's as a club to hit people over the head with, to promote our pet political or religious cause! But I feel that it's important to study all of Christ's words in an attitude of reverence and awe, and to come up to a higher level of spirituality, and then implement the underlying principles and concepts throughout society in an evolutionary, rather than in a revolutionary way. This is the mustard seed conspiracy! It consists of the seeds of greatness!

Christians should integrate rather than segregate! Christians should not be stand-offish! Christians should be “in the world, but not of the world.” The Teachings of Jesus should be communicated with kindness and sound-bites rather than with cold and arrogant sermonizing. Profound principles, concepts, and facts obtained in secular society should be integrated with the words of Jesus to give them an even more profound impact! The atheist scientists and philosophers don’t know what they are missing! They may have the facts, but they need the Spirit too!

Jesus was accused of being "a glutton and a wine drinker, a friend of publicans and sinners!" I don’t think they were accusing Him of being a grape-juice drinker! He didn't spend all day in the synagogue! I find it helpful to contemplate Christ in a variety of settings. Theology should not be imprisoned within a church or university, but needs to be reflected upon and implemented in even the most unlikely environments. These diverse environments may include the boardroom, the racetrack, the laboratory, Washington D.C. and Las Vegas (where one might be a friend of Republicans and Sinners)!
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote