View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #18
no caste
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: PM Stephen Harper Ties The Knot With 3 Prorogations Since Taking Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlah View Post
By Crackie! No Caste......you have done it! You can now contact the Excellencies! I wonder if all these "Excellent" people are Bluebloods?
Just a corrective note to mention that I discovered PM Harper has prorogated Parliament 4x rather than 3x...Member of Parliament for my area Peter Julian mentioned it and feels the whole situation is deplorable and scandalous.
by crackie! yes, GG done and actually the whole CPC roster!

Clement was sad about not getting email complaints, so I wrote him twice. Interesting about 4x. The MP in my area is Conservative. It's just awful - I swear the party loyalists comb through letters, use it as a platform for marketing instead of ... whatever, twist it up for talking points the following day.

This is an interesting table re 'lost days' of work.

28th Parliament - Trudeau (majority)
1969/10/22 - 0 Days
1970/10/7 - 0 Days
1972/2/16 - 0 Days

29th Parliament - Trudeau (majority)
1974/2/26 - 0 Days

30th Parliament - Trudeau (majority)
1976/10/12 - 0 Days
1977/10/17 - 0 Days
1978/10/10 - 0 Days

32nd Parliament - Trudeau (majority)
1983/11/30 - 6 Days

39th Parliament - Harper (minority)
2007/9/14 - 31 Days

40th Parliament - Harper (minority)
2008/12/4 - 62 Days
2009/12/30? - ? Days

--- AND ---

The current PM's objections to prorogation in 2004.

September 9, 2004
Her Excellency the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson,C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.Governor General
Rideau Hall
1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A1

Excellency,
As leaders of the opposition parties, we are well aware that, given the Liberal minority government, you could be asked by the Prime Minister to dissolve the 38th Parliament at any time should the House of Commons fail to support some part of the government's program.

We respectfully point out that the opposition parties, who together constitute a majority in the House, have been in close consultation. We believe that, should a request for dissolution arise this should give you cause, as constitutional practicehas determined, to consult the opposition leaders and consider all of your options before exercising your constitutional authority.

Your attention to this matter is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Hon. Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P.Leader of the Opposition Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada
Gilles Duceppe, M.P.Leader of the Bloc Quebecois
Jack Layton, M.P.Leader of the New Democratic Party

It would be great to get more information about the 1-2-3-4- Harper prorogues. Mostly with the Excellencies lol I'm just trying to figure out how this country has gone constitutionally down the bowl. There was something I read about the UK changing things in 2007 (they had a similar situation), where prorogues now have to be voted on in the House of Commons. For me what is going on is clearly an abuse of power and partisanship at its dangerous worst.

It's terrible.

Last edited by no caste; 01-13-2010 at 06:09 AM.
no caste is offline   Reply With Quote