View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #35
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Default Re: This break up shows why we humans aren't ready to transcend. Or maybe ascend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoxymoron View Post
Why couldn't certain posting and moderating guidelines have been applied to the current Avalon...making Avalon 2 unnecessary? I can understand refining the forum to make it more pastoral and user friendly...but I still have a problem with the move and with other happenings over the past several weeks. It seems as though something was deemed to be too hot to handle within this forum...and that it had to be shut-down. I still haven't heard an explanation as to why 'Thuban Thoughts' was removed...and not returned in even a read-only form. I fully understand reasonable censorship and the calm revelation of new information and concepts. I fully support evolutionary change over revolutionary change.
I'm a mod and I don't know why your Thuban Thoughts thread was not returned. I was simply going to return it for you some time ago when some other problem took me in another direction. Would you like it returned, kind of like - better late than never? And to which sub-forum. PM to me would be helpful, in case I get distracted again.

The Thuban issue was complex. Here is just one facet of it. I heard of 12 reports like this.
http://projectavalon.net/forum/showp...&postcount=353
http://projectavalon.net/forum/showp...&postcount=355
I've never in the history of the forum seen a topic divide us like this one did.

Here is a copy of a post to another thread: Project Avalon 2.0 has been being worked on for several months and is to be a bit more focused in the direction of the original intent of Bill Ryan. It was planned long before the recent forum descent into chaos - which has nothing to do with the move to the new forum. This current forum will be closed, but remain online as an archive. Any favorite threads can be moved to PA2, but most will stay here. Just send a PM to Gareth or GaiaLove if you want a thread moved. 99.9% of the people - those in a constructive frame of mind (vs destructive) - will be invited to the new version of the forum. If you would like to hurry up and be invited, I know this sounds really strange, send me a PM with the email address you want to use and that will speed up your invite.

Plus I'll add:
1) A new version of vBulletin became available, version 4.0, and piqued the interest of the admins.
2) They started playing around with it and noted the forum skins, (colors) of Avalon Electric and Minty used here would not work with 4.0. So they worked to pick two similar theme skins for those who like the light background, and those who like the dark background.
3) Bill started showing up and noticed the mods spending a whole lot of time talking about just a few members and what actions to take - if any. He began to share more about his original vision for the forum why couldn't the mods be talking about being an inspiration to the forum members rather than acting like police. ( All my own choice of words as I don't remember his exact words.) And he talked about rolling out a new refined vision for Avalon with a new look. Bill also talked about developing the orphaned site http://projectavalon.net.
So 1 + 2 + 3 = Avalon 2.0.
4) A poll was taken of the mod team and we decided by a vast majority vote to just get a fresh start with PA2. Leave PA1 as a closed archive. We will close PA1 in a month or two.

And that 's my story, my perspective of where PA2 originated.

The guidelines are the same basic common forum guidelines that were developed 20 years ago - there are very few limits on free speech - as long as you can do it respectfully without flinging insults, flaming, name-calling, etc. You can make critical posts, just keep it in balance with constructive, edifying posts.

Last edited by Karen; 03-24-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote