View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #29
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: A message to the doom and gloomers

Thank you Avalonians for your thoughts on the topic I raised. Discussion of, and explanations for your individual perspectives gives the rest of us something to ponder. What is required by everybody is the wisdom to be able to separate out from all the incoming information we have, what is feasible and what is not. Sadly, this ability to reason is not inherent in many folk. It has been allowed to become dormant and instead, many of us believe whatever it was the last person told us. This can lead to utter confusion when two or more different scenarios are pointed out.

Reasoning - the ability to take a scenario and think through the implications then make a decision on what action should be taken. The first point I would make in such a situation would be to find as many sources for the information in question. Preferably from different original sources. For example, let's take someone who publishes a 'new' version of the Bible in modern English. In this situation, find out whether they just 'modernized' the King James version, (warts and all) or did they re-translate it from the original manuscripts?

Always question where the information was obtained from and, if it's not that simple, how did the person giving the information, arrive at their conclusions? Remember, while the truth is out there somewhere, it will sometimes be so obvious that it will be overlooked - just remember chicken little and the falling sky. First off, don't take television or newspapers too seriously. As the old saying goes, good news never sold a newspaper or put a TV station at the top of the ratings.

I can personally tell of a situation I was in back in the mid 1970s - we had an Irish farm-exchange student stay with us for a couple of weeks. At this time the IRA was active in Dublin and when I found that this chap actually came from the area in question, I asked what the conflict was like to those who actually lived there. His response really woke me up to the exaggeration that was present in TV and newspaper reports. He said that apart from the individuals who were involved in the skirmishes, nobody else new about it.

The bottom line is - don't believe everything you see or hear - particularly if it's on TV or in newspapers. Do your own thinking - don't let 'them' do it for you. Get away from negative thinking as this will be your downfall. If we concentrate on the positive, most of us will come through unscathed.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote