View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #25
Myplanet2
In The Mists

Default Re: Cliff High on Veritas: Jan 5/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticore View Post
Let me understand this MyPlanet. You say that it is deceiving to have a 5-minute preview. If you are right in your definition, every Hollywood movie that gives you a 1- or 2-minute preview is deceiving. Furthermore, the fact that Hollywood does not allow you to watch half of the movie before you pay for it is? I'll let you add a description to that. You say I am deceiving and manipulative because I offer a preview to a show and offer half of it for free, so that people can make a more informed decision and exercise their free will and purchase a subscription or not.

Would you prefer it if the free hour was not available? You would probably find a way to complain and say that if you had known the show did not meet your expectations, you would not have subscribed. You see, to people like you, no matter how much you try to give for free, it will never be enough. You will find ways to use derogatory and negative remarks and insinuate that the purpose of my business model is to rip innocent people off.

What you and others who do not agree with this model are purposefully or selectively ignoring (since none has made any comment) is the fact that I give free subscriptions to the less fortunate and to those who provide value. What I don't do is spend countless hours researching my guests and working on the "behind the scenes" aspects of the show, so that people who can, but will not provide value/payment or do not fall in the "less fortunate" category, enjoy the fruit of my efforts.

I hope this clarifies any confusion that you still may have.

Best,

Mel
Now lets not be putting words into my mouth, Mel. I have no confusions about this. No strawman arguments please.

First of all, are you actually saying that hollywood is NOT manipulative and deceptive? Hollywood will give you a 2 minute trailer with all the best action scenes, knowing full well that you'll be disappointed when you pay to watch the whole thing.

So tell me, do you have it clearly posted where it's hard to miss that people who start one of the interviews will get only so much, and then have to pay for the rest once they are interested? Do you say anywhere that is easy to find that "you can listen to a part now for free, but will have to pay a 3 month subscription which buys several interviews you may not be interested in, to listen to the other half of the interveiw"? Or do you hook people in, and then spring it on them that they have to pay to go any further? And even going so far as asking a question at the end of the first part that can't even be answered unless they buy 3 months of other stuff they are maybe not interested in?

Yes. I call deceptive and manipulative right out loud and up front.

How about Regina's model over at conscious media? She offers the choice to pay to hear the interviews now, but if you don't want to or can't pay, just wait a while, and it's released for free a little later. Others like Rense, or Rebecca jernigan permit a free live listen, but if you want to listen at YOUR convenience from the archives, you pay a bit.

Or you could charge a flat fee per interview, like iTunes.

Or keep the model you have, but don't deceive people into thinking they can listen to an interview, only to discover that they will have to pay for the second half, and not just for the second half, but for 3 months of other stuff. They clicked THAT interview because they were interested in THAT person. Tell them that ahead of time. Don't spring it on them when they are already hooked on the first half.

And what's up with telling guests to hold off on discussing certain things because you want to cover that in the second hour?

More manipulation, IMO.

MP2
Myplanet2 is offline   Reply With Quote