View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
Erin
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: What Are the True Environmental Problems and Solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seashore View Post
I guess it has been established that the weather is not what we should be focusing on when it comes to the environment.

If it's not the weather, what is it, then?

I guess pollution of the air, water, and soil would be the first to come to mind?

I would like for us to establish what our real problems are, and then have a discussion of the workable, creative solutions that are available.
Thanks Seashore for bringing this up.

One common problem is relentless careless land development. Commercial and new home developers have taken over; it's often permitted by our local governments so to increase short-term tax revenue. There aren't adequate measures in place to pull the reigns on such development. And what remains around such development is eventually destroyed because of introduced chemicals, non-native and invasive plants, and lack of sufficient biodiversity. If development must occur, these things CAN be avoided.

Let me diverge and suggest that we can all take even small actions right now, (this weekend) such as:

* Go to some semi-private or public land; pick up the trash and dispose of it properly. It's not your trash, but do it anyway.

* Understand your back yard and surrounding area; study the plant life and wild life. Compare what does exist to what really could/should exist. Learn about native species, invasive plants, and bio-diversity.

* Go to your town meetings find out what development is occurring and why. Get involved.

* Encourage your families and neighbors to replace some of that grass with food.

* Borrow a pair of cable cutters to remove the invasive vines tearing down the trees.

* Be sure to use safe salts for melting ice and snow.

* Go and look for that stray cat; take it in . . . find it a home.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote