Thread: Discernment
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #24
3optic
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Discernment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafury View Post
I don't know why but I can't stand the term "resonate" as far as deciding that you agree with a certain point of view. I think the problem is that some have decided that you don't need to have discernment, the title of this thread, so long as you resonate with something. As if discernment and resonating are not the same thing, and personally I don't think that they are.

Discernment implies that you are using some kind of intellectual capacity to decide whether something is correct or not.

Resonate implies you "feel" something is correct. Well Kerry resonates with Albert Venczel. And "resonation" with something appears to be completely subjective, which means it means nothing to anyone else.

That would mean to me that there's no use in telling anyone else what you "resonate" with, because it doesn't mean anything to anyone else. And in fact, it doesn't mean anything at all.

Resonating and discernment are two very different things imo.
I agree that they are different things and that somehow a thread on discernment became one on resonance. How did that happen?

I don't share your bias however. I'm guessing the reason you can't stand the term may be due to it's recent overuse. Maybe we substitute intuit here.

Whatever. It seems to me that there is a tendency in these topics to get a little naive and, erm lacking in discerment.

So is discernment reliant on the intellect?

Not at all. In fact it's not limited to rational thought exclusively but to perception which is cognitive.

Cognition is not always rational.

cognition |ˌkägˈni sh ən|
noun
the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses.
• a result of this; a perception, sensation, notion, or intuition.

Aha!
Here's the Oxford definition for discerment:

dis·cern·ment / diˈsərnmənt/
• n. 1. the ability to judge well: an astonishing lack of discernment.
2. (in Christian contexts) perception in the absence of judgment with a view to obtaining spiritual direction and understanding: without providing for a time of healing and discernment, there will be no hope of living through this present moment without a shattering of our common life.

Hmm. The first definition seems to support your view. But the second is interesting.. in fact the 2 completely contradict one another! WTF???

Very good thread. I'm going to have to come back to this.
3optic is offline   Reply With Quote