View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #13
sunflower
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Food for Thought

Yes, I am also looking forward to this year's gardening season. We've always been growing tomatoes and herbs on the side of the house but last fall my husband used construction blocks and built me a 16'x4' raised garden. We ordered heirloom seeds (just for the fun of it) and are hoping for the best. We do have a resident bunny which I saw again two days ago so I guess we'll have to use chicken wire or whatever to keep it out.

For the first time I am trying to start seeds inside under grow lights ( a leftover fixture that was forgotten in the basement for many years) I am not too impressed with the results so far but I still have a month or six weeks before official planting season in this area. If those seeds don't sprout nicely well I'll simply get plants from the local nursery.

I plan on taking pictures of the garden to note progress and placement of plants. This project will be a bit of a challenge but I do like to dig into the earth with my bare hands. What a satisfying feeling to bring veggies into the house for salad or cooked for supper.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote