View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
vipassana
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Food for Thought

I'm very fortunate that since my early 20's I've always had a garden. I've been a veg gardener for years. I started it as a hobby but soon got hooked when I tasted my produce and it's also very interesting to grow and tend produce. You just can't beat the flavour and goodness of home grown veg. Gardening gets me out in the fresh air, keeps me fit and it connects me to the earth.

Whoever loves and understands a garden
will find contentment within
(Chinese Proverb)

This evening I dug a bit more of my lawn up as I'm extending my vegetable garden. Firstly because like many people I want to know what I'm eating all the time and secondly I think there may be food shortages ahead.

Every year I grow potatotos, broad beans, peas, lettuce, radish, leeks, runner beans, carrots, beetroot, garlic, french beans, courgettes and broccoli. I also grow a wide variety of herbs which I eat raw and use in cooking. Most years I try out new things. This year I've planted blackcurrant, raspberry, gooseberry and blueberry bushes and also rhubarb which will produce every year. I'm also going to experiment with crops I can grow for winter time. I've also acquired a greenhouse which I'm trying to get moved here so then I can grow tomatoes, peppers etc and it will also extend the growing season for me.

Some times things fail or don't do so well but that's just nature. I'm still learning as I go along.

Yes truthseeker, I agree that you can show love with food.
vipassana is offline   Reply With Quote