View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
droid56
Avalon Senior Member

Default The window of escape for smart people?

I've read some people who've ditched their normal lives, emptied their bank accounts, converted most of their money into survival gear and leaped into the great unknown. The great unknown is always in a some remote rural location.

I salute these people for their bravery. And if major manure hits the fan, these people will then be far from the window of escape, busily rebuilding their lives. But if we continue to stumble along without major catastrophe, some of these early escapees might begin to regret giving up the comfortable life.

So the challenge, in my opinion, is knowing when to open the window of escape. Too early, and you could end up feeling stupid if nothing really big and nasty happens. Too late, and you could end up in a nightmare from which there is no escape.

At this point, I've got $1000 out of the bank, and food and water for a month.

If things worsen, I'll commit more income to preparation. But if something powerful happens, something so clearly unusual that it will be impossible to deny that it's time to get out of town, how long will the window of escape be open? Days, a day, hours, minutes? Or will it already be too late?

Please don't place this question in the context of negativity and gloom.

I just want to act quickly and smartly if things ever quickly spin out of control.

Last edited by droid56; 10-10-2008 at 12:08 AM.
droid56 is offline   Reply With Quote