Old 02-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
KathyT
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Warning: VERY CONTROVERSIAL - holocaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noela View Post
On national television last night I saw David Irving, historian, who went to
jail for having similar beliefs.
I thought this would be odd it it were in America, so I looked up David Irving on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Irving

For clarification, Wikipedia says:
"David John Cawdell Irving (born 24 March 1938) is a British writer[1] specializing in the military history of World War II. His interpretations of the Third Reich have proved highly controversial due to allegations of undue sympathy for the Third Reich and antisemitism, and because of his involvement in the Holocaust denial movement. He is the author of 30 books, including The Destruction of Dresden (1963), Hitler's War (1977), Uprising! (1981), Churchill's War (1987), and Goebbels — Mastermind of the Third Reich (1996).

Irving's reputation as an historian was widely discredited[2] after he brought an unsuccessful libel case against American historian Deborah Lipstadt and Penguin Books in 1996. During the trial, an English court found that Irving was an "active Holocaust denier," as well as an antisemite and racist, and that he "associates with right-wing extremists who promote neo-Nazism."[3] The judge also ruled that Irving had "for his own ideological reasons persistently and deliberately misrepresented and manipulated historical evidence."[3][4]

On a visit to Austria, Irving was apprehended, tried and convicted of "glorifying and identifying with the German Nazi Party", which is a crime in Austria under the Verbotsgesetz law. He served a prison sentence from February to December 2006 on the charges."
KathyT is offline   Reply With Quote