View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #676
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

A short story I hope,
A bot 15 years ago I was given a book about Sai Baba, it resonated within me I had never heard of Baba. Within days I met several people by coincidence who knew of him.
My Mum admitted to hospital with terminal illness. The Dr in charge of her health Indian. I asked if he knorw of Baba he said "Yes my brother in law had given up a lucrative job as an airline pilot to be on his ashram".
To cut a long story short I went that Christmas against the wishes of ex wife and family. I spent 6 weeks on the ashram along with about 10,000 others. Christmas day and there were 30,000 there all singing silent night and other hymns as a tribute to Christ.
People of all religions walks of life.
I came home my Mum was miraculous cured and lived another ten years.
Baba teaches do not love my form, do not come and see me I am in your heart, if you come to the ashram go home and be a better Christian a better Buddhist a better Moslem etc.
No money asked for, though some donated.
The ex owner of the Hard Rock Cafe claims Baba saved his life and donated millions to build hospitals etc in India.
Baba has 40million followers. When the Internet accused him of having sexual inclinations towards children (never proved) British followers melted away. Even those filled with tears and great love and emotion in his presence. I have no toughts on the matter. I never put a head above my own.
I was not concerned because I knew it was about the teachings not the form of Baba.

Nothing but good came of my visit to Baba, my now ex wife was given a vision of Baba and she who was his greatest "enemy" is now a devotee, though he advises agsinst people being devotes of any teacher. Only formless God is to be devoted to.

What is Baba? An Avatar as claimed? I dont know.

The teaching is the important thing not the person.
In my opinion, Its a major error to be devoted to and love the teacher in form.
Love the teaching.
If people had loved the teaching of God rather than being devoted to the teacher then in my opinion none of the religious wars could have happened.
Every religion teaches the first two commandments of the holy Bible.

Baba's teaching was completely in accord with all before and since.
I go where the teaching flows that is concordant with my current understanding but a next step on.

Teaching of Baba was about overcoming duality and therfore ego.
When asked if he was God the answers was "Yes but so are you, I just know what I am."

With love
Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote