View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #17
trainedobserver
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Are you afraid to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace of mind View Post
@shaynard, illuminate and futureyes

Thats interesting trainobserver…but, I’m wondering more about the spirit, the individual identity.
The individual identity is tied to the physical structure of the brain. Change the physical structure through chemistry or surgery and you can change the personality, memory, and emotions. There is no need or real evidence for an etherical component you are concerned about. No worries in other words.

Quote:
One of them is that your consciousness moves on to other realities to further learn.
I wouldn't give a lot of weight to subjective experiences you may have during altered states of conciousness. They are notoriously unreliable.

To get a reasonable idea of what death is like try this thought experiement (or try it for real if you wish). Take your computer, boot it up, get something running on it. Take a ball-peen hammer and smash the CPU on the motherboard (or claw hammer if you simply must) and pound on the disk drive a couple times. You'll notice an immediate failure of the operating system, a total inablity to access the hard drive and the disappearance of whatever was being displayed on the screen. This is the state of death. Non-activity. The total loss of all information. A non-existence. The program that was running on the hardware doesn't fly off to run somewhere else, it ceases to exist as the circuits which supported its existence no longer exist.

If it isn't like that I'll be surpised shall we say.
trainedobserver is offline   Reply With Quote