View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #16
Alloura
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Spirituality and Religion

Very interesting thread...

Having spent a part of my life in both organized religion and out of organized religion, I came to the following conclusions:

Spiritual knowledge I found when I spent time alone, praying, pondering, meditating & treating people in a loving manner. Along life's path I met some very spiritual people - inside religion and outside religion. It truly depended entirely on the person. To me being spiritual is a personal, individual choice.

Religion is often based on fear & manipulation - from very subtle to completely overt, with love laced in, in places. I found that in the religious group, the teaching often consisted of trying to guilt people into behaving as the group thought best, or using fear-based themes to keep people in line. There was a push for everyone to "be the same". Questioning decisions was looked at as out and out rebellion, or blasphemy. Very sad. This to me is religion - the loss of your free will to make personal choices.

I mean no offense to anyone who is involved in any religion. These are only mine personal experiences.

Love & Light

Alloura
Alloura is offline   Reply With Quote