View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Come have a sit down with me around the Pot Bellied Stove and talk story.

Here in San Diego County, it's almost always beautiful weather. I live about 25 miles inland, and it has been getting down into the 40s at night - which is cold for this time of year! My wife and I both feel it may well be a cold winter. I was just thinking how in another week or two, I'll have to move all the tropical plants up close to the house or bring them indoors for the winter. Sure seems early.

Signs of the bad economy everywhere. It's sad. We are not the villains in this piece, but we mustn't think like victims. The truth is that we helped bring this on ourselves, we might as well admit it and get that part over with. We invited it with every sweater made in Pakistan, every Japanese car, every Chinese video game. We've all read the statistics on what a small percent of the people use what a huge percent of the resources....and we all know that was us. And we've tried, most of us, to use less. We have: we're decent people. We care about orphans and homeless and poor people.

Trouble is: we're spoiled. We have no clue how most of the world lives. We wouldn't last a sunny weekend. I've joked about how I don't shop at MalWart because I don't want to buy merchandise made by children and political prisoners - but the same thing applies to half the things I own, including parts of my computer.

One of my guiding principles is taking responsibility for everything in my life - because it is MY life. So I have to own my own part in this fiasco. Ok, that was liberating. Now I can move on.

Right now, every day feels precious.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote