View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #40
justpeter
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: This break up shows why we humans aren't ready to transcend. Or maybe ascend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
The guidelines are the same basic common forum guidelines that were developed 20 years ago - there are very few limits on free speech - as long as you can do it respectfully without flinging insults, flaming, name-calling, etc. You can make critical posts, just keep it in balance with constructive, edifying posts.
I think any forum needs guidelines but I personally don't see them being adhered to in either PA1 or PA2. It's not worth discussing PA1 so I'll stick to PA2. There is the usual rule of not posting long passages of outside text yet I see it being done regularly. One person recently posted pages of the stuff.

As for keeping posts "in balance, with constructive edifying posts", there are several people already in PA2 who are mainly negative and dismissive of other people's ideas. One of them has rubbished at least 5 different threads covering all kinds of things that most people here would consider normal and in one thread he even suggested he may not belong on that forum. But he's still there.

I don't understand why some people complain about these forums being too strict. As far as I can see PA1 allowed people to violate the guidelines pretty much at will until eventually things got out of hand and the mods had to do something about it. Now I see the same thing starting at PA2 also. Maybe it's just me. Sorry for being negative but I'm trying to help create a forum that will be beneficial to us all.

Why can't there be a rule that says anyone can report a violation to the mods and they will be given a reply as to the action the mods will take? At the moment I would feel guilty about "snitching" but on the other hand I don't like seeing perfectly good threads being stopped by negative posts and I don't want to get into a flame war with the negative posters.
justpeter is offline   Reply With Quote