View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #36
metaw3
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Have just had my facebook account shut down posting Dr Greer's Obamma email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
I'm flabbagasted .... how far does the censureship go?? I was in the middle of a heated debate with a sceptic friend on Facebook and I cout and pasted Steven Greer's open letter to Obamma that was posted on the net last year and next thing....big alarm bells and I was instantly disabled and told the material was offensive bla bla .... what the F.....? Is this some kind of petty burocratic mistake with Key words ? or serious censership does any one know???? or had similer experiances????
I used Facebook a few months to post conspiracy stuff. Building websites is my job. I've seen many accounts being disabled during that time. They were all disabled by automated features to prevent spamming and abuse, but it was not (political) censorship from Facebook. It could have been another user reporting a post as offensive, but it was never because Facebook don't want people saying 911 was an inside job. Facebook has so many members that it requires algorithms for automated detection of abusive behavior. There are warnings before disabling accounts but they are not always obvious if you don't pay attention. The reason why so many people think Facebook censors political material is because they don't understand how these algorithms work, and when their account is disabled, they can't figure out why their last actions on the site triggered the algorithm, but it did. There's no conspiracy here. Yes Facebook does data mining, but it's for marketing and only for the police if you break the law. Posting conspiracy stuff on the net is not against the law (yet) and Facebook does not care if you do.
metaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote