View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #33
truthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Should there be a Religion sub-forum in Spirituality? (Vote Here)

Keep spirituality and religion together. Separation just reflects what many so-called 'religious' folk already do, especially within certain sects and factions of the, so-called, montheistic traditions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. So if we separate spirituality and religion into sub-forums or separate forums, are we not just reinforcing this separitist notion?

I personally have a spiritual perspective that I consider not to be religious. However, someone else might consider my beliefs to be 'religious' rather than 'spiritual'. I do not think there is a clear line between the two.

I respect the right of all to believe as they wish, even if I do not aggree. My only limit to this is when 'religious' or 'spiritual' belief is imposed upon the uninitiated. It thus becomes potentially harmful to those who are not able or are not in a position to discern. We are all at that stage at some point in our lives, usually during periods of major life change and personal crisis. This is when some of the more 'in your face' groups (some are defined as 'cults', but I have seen similar tactics carried out by mainstream evangelical and fundamentalist Christian groups as well) are able to take advantage of our vulnerability and innocence.

Some might say that religious leaders preach, whilst spiritual leaders teach. However, I do not think the distinction is as clear cut as that. Many apparent spiritual teachers are in fact preaching, imposing their beliefs and ideas upon others in the guise of spiritual wisdom. This is true within certain 'New Age' groups as well as within what most of us would refer to as 'cults' or 'religious' factions or sects. Within many, if not most, religious and spiritual teachers and leaders, there is a large dose of 'Ego' and the "I know best, because I have studied and/or received knowledge from a higher source" syndrome.

So, keep 'religion' and 'spirituality' together. Allow us posters to take responsibility for what we choose to read, write or believe. This helps us all to learn and practice discernment and discretion in our personal journey to truth and meaning. After all, we are all at different stages on our spiritual journey.

Best Wishes

Truthseeker (Andrew)