View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #188
Bigfatfurrytexan
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: John Lear

It is good to be here, John. I really enjoy your reading, and have still been lurking on some of your other forum participations.

Regarding Kwajelein...

My grandfather worked on the missile coolant systems there in the 60's. My mom was a teenager, as were my uncles. There was no TV, and the radio was USO. This meant that you only got an hour or two of "your type" of music every day.

The status symbols of the Americans on the base was their AV equipment. My family has quite a few pics of rockets being launched, and i am willing to bet that there are thousands of feet of film and other images locked away in family footchests from folks who lived there at that time. Everyone had camera's, and everyone filmed the launches. They would picnic and sit out in large groups to watch launches.

After one launch in the late 60's, the military put out a request to all solidiers and civilians: they had botched the filming of the most recent launch, and needed to see if the locals would mind sharing what they had of it. After this, they didn't allow any more filming of launches, and required people to stay indoors. Of course, people complied as the island was a small family, and the people were very blindly patriotic.

The story mom has is that they saw that the locals footage was better than theirs, and that it was embarrassing to them. Of course, now that it is 2008 she believes it was more of a national security issue.

I believe that this is a launch platform for the secret space missions, and that this is what they wanted to hide. Can't have images of large titan and delta rockets being launched, right?

I need to get with my uncle and discuss his time on Kwaj. He was in a bike wreck, and his memory isn't so good...so i am unsure if he can add much. Well...and he is a pothead biker (part of the reason he had his bike wreck, i guess).
Bigfatfurrytexan is offline   Reply With Quote