View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #59
DoctorTony
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The Goodbye Thread / Options To stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregorArturo View Post
I just wanted to respond to this to explain my position, just to remind people of my "type" versus my brother's statement of me being a freeloader.

I live with my parents, I eat their food, and they pay for my schooling (which is heavily discounted as my dad teaches there). They are financially stable for the most part, and I help them out around the house, physically and emotionally. I cannot give up that extra pair of shoes or a movie ticket, because I do not partake in any of these conventional activities of purchases or entertainment. I really don't. I go to class, philosophize with friends and students, and go home, read and write. I treat myself to the occasional beverage which may happen once a week, and you could say that is the only luxury I ever engage in, and almost always someone is buying me the drink. I have nothing I can sacrifice in terms of exchange because I choose to live a simple life.

To connect with this idea, I had an amazing experience at a homeless shelter this September, as I joined an elderly man for dinner at our local soup kitchen (where I was treated negatively and assumed to be a 'druggie' simply due to my presence there). He was very intelligent and was an artist. We discussed in detail art, history, and culture. He travels the country, making art, and giving it away for free. He lives the most simple life style as possible as that is what he believes in and chooses. Is he a freeloader? Is he a druggie or chronic alcoholic? By no means. He may not be working for the capitalist agenda, but he surely is giving back to the world with his endless inspiration and kindness. He taught me an important lesson that is priceless and one can never buy.

My problem with money is the direct connection of it with material goods, material time. There is more to this material world

AMEN Gregor

AND a big thank you for your inspiration on this, Project Avalon. It was a pleasure meeting you. I left with an inspiration to research more instead of stopping because my head was going to explode. I will never stop learning new and exciting things because of people like yourself. I myself get some meals from my parents. Times are tight and money is certainly and unfortunately the catalyst for so many people's unnecessary worries.
If in the event of a flooding of the coast I hope to start a new civilization with you in Northwestern Maine somewhere. Your knowledge of torsion energy and other means of harnessing what the earth has to offer is enough to start something that certainly surmounts a coming carbon tax. See you in the new earth.

Thank you
Dr Tony

DoctorTony is offline   Reply With Quote