View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #47
solent
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Curious: Avalonians: poll on career choices

OK, I will be totally honest with you guys and gals as you feel like family, so here goes.

Hated school as it felt totally irrelevant to me so left with little to no qualifications, started on a YTS (Youth Training Scheme) as a Bricklayer, which lasted until the first cold winter (about 10 months), then decided bricklaying was not my thing.

@ 17 years of age I became a professional dropout, just worked cash in hand doing what ever manual work I could find when I needed money, brought a motorbike and done some courier work etc, smoked dope and expanded my mind with various psychedelics for the next 10 years. I felt fine with not complying with society, just doing my own thing was basically all that mattered.

@ 28 I decided enough was enough and I should really do something a little more constructive, so learnt to fly (my father helped me with some funding), I found out that I was a natural, so took things further and became a flying instructor, then on to become an examiner, I had managed to save enough to purchase a 50% share of a plane so started a small flying school, after a short time I had enough to purchase the other 50%, so I then started putting my profits in to training for an ATPL (Airline Transport Pilots Licence), but business started to slow down in 2004 so stopped my training thinking I would wait it out and things would improve, early 2005 one of my club members totalled my plane (he walked away with just hurt pride, thankfully) so got paid out by the insurance company.

I had been travelling to Asia a bit so decided I would wait out the slow period in Thailand (cheap and fun), and thought when business picks up I would start up again.

Well, I am still in Thailand, own a farm (Oranges) which is no longer viable, own a house and married with a 4 month old baby boy, we pay our bills and feed ourselves by hiring out our 20 tonne excavator, we don’t earn much money, in fact we have to live a very basic life style as we have no money, but we are happy with this.

Looking forward to what will be…..

Oh, in my early twenty’s spent some time at one of the Queens resorts for possession of a little bit of cannabis (well a lot actually I said I would be honest but never mind, I've never hurt anybody in my life )
solent is offline   Reply With Quote