Thread: Antarctica
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #22
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Antarctica

Oh, the ruins are pure speculation but I can almost guarantee there is something there. I was also sorta basing the idea off the bad yet good movie Aliens versus Predators.

Current theory is the that ice has covered the continent for about 15 million years. This is why I said earlier in the thread why ice core samples might be inaccurate because of previous human knowledge.

There's a very infamous map called the Piri Reis Map which details the coastline of the Americas. The interesting part, is the coast continues down to what many scholars believe is an incorrect scale/representation of Antarctica, and also I believe this is when it was supposedly ice free. That part of Antarctica could have been ice free as early as 4000 BC I believe, so there's some conflicting data/speculation. You can check it out, interesting story about a man Hapgood who discovered the map, research it along with many others and wrote the book Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings (I believe that is its name).

Anyways, the icing of Antarctica is a very controversial debate for the most part, as continental drift/tectonic plate theory is also up in the air. However, if Antarctica was ice free, it would dramatically affect sea levels, so in my opinion the earliest it could be even considered ice free to some extent has to be before 6000 BC, and at most 12000 BC (Most ice melting from the ice age occurred 10k-6k BC), cause otherwise the sea levels would be dramatically different from what we know them, or yet again, SUPPOSEDLY know/theorize.

Throughout history though, there is a myth about a great unknown 'Southern Land'. Many have speculated this could of been Atlantis.
GregorArturo is offline   Reply With Quote