Thread: Antarctica
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
Soul Sequence
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
I've just recently noticed multi-country bases on the south pole, why, is there really that much to study on a block of ice? or is it simply to stake a claim? All seems very strange to me. Please comment!
Hey Dan, that is interesting, in your research, have you any links or supposed military installations or are they sticking with the official "joint scientific experiments"? I am aware that a treaty was signed in 1959 by twelve countries; to date, forty-six countries have signed the treaty. The treaty prohibits military activities and mineral mining, supports scientific research, and protects the continent's ecozone. Ongoing experiments are conducted by more than 4,000 scientists of many nationalities and with different research interests. (source: Wikipedia)
but another interesting tidbit of info from Wikipedia - At 14.4 million kmē (5.4 million sq mi), it is the fifth-largest continent in area after Eurasia, Africa, North America, and South America.
Could be possible that if one believes a poleshift to occur, the climate in this region will become much warmer. Currently, there are no "official" residents of this southern region, only ongoing scientific experiments.
Soul Sequence is offline   Reply With Quote