View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #31
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Re: Daily Solar Status and how to protect oneself

Yesterday we all woke up after a good night's sleep and were complaining how tired we all felt. This included our 13 year old as well. All of us were just dragging. So I thought... hmmm, solar flare as this is how I tend to feel when a flare happens.

Take a look at the report from yesterday.

LARGEST FLARE IN TWO YEARS (JANUARY 22, 2010)

STEREO (Behind) was in position to observe an M-class (moderate) solar flare (Jan. 17, 2010), the largest one detected for more than two years. It was accompanied by a coronal mass ejection (CME), seen as the large cloud of particles surrounding the bright flash as well as a wave of material spreading part way across the Sun. Solar activity level has been slumbering rather quietly, but this substantial active region has shown plenty of signs of life. Besides that flare, several other, smaller flares can be seen in the video (about 30 hours). The brightness of the flares causes the light to spread along pixel rows of the detector, its tell tale signature.

Is this the beginning of the sun's increased activity?

All I can add is that the body knows.

Last edited by Carol; 01-23-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote