Thread: Trying Times
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Trying Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by no caste View Post
HJ, you could try something really new!!

How many women are involved in this Commission of yours? I ask because it's a big issue up north. For instance, an aboriginal woman who married a white man lost her status (so did the children). However, an aboriginal man who married a white woman - no problem for the children! (I actually don't know if the white wife gained Indian status.)

Twist it up.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR REGISTRATION?

Over the years, there have been many rules for deciding who is eligible for registration as an Indian under the Indian Act. Important changes were made to the Act in June 1985, when Parliament passed Bill C-31, An Act to Amend the Indian Act, to bring it into line with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The amendments:

* repeal discriminatory provisions of the Act, such as those related to gender, marriage and enfranchisement
* restore status and membership to persons who lost their status under previous legislation
* give First Nations the option of assuming control of their membership

If you are in one of the following categories, you may be able to restore your status as a Registered Indian:

* women who lost their status by marrying a man who was not a Status Indian
* children who lost their status because of their mother's marriage
* most people who were enfranchised (agreed to give up their status)
* children who lost their status at age 21 because their mother and their father's mother did not have status under the Indian Act before marriage
* children of unmarried women with status under the Act whose registration was successfully protested because their father did not have status under the Act

You may also be eligible to be registered as an Indian if one or both of your parents are eligible for registration.
http://www.afn.ca/article.asp?id=1714

Good luck with the corruption.
Thanks for the information.

I have documented proof of my family tree and other records. My family started in this country when an Abenak woman married an English settler. I really don't want to say how but my brother and I both have more Abenaki blood than our parents. It's complicated.

I personally dislike blood quotas BUT there must be caution used when recognizing tribes/clans/individuals. It seems to be very easy to pose as an indian and reap the benefits that are supposed to be reserved for those with documentation. I have seen problems with this where I live.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote