View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #18
shiftmonkey
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Are you a CONSUMER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareheart View Post
Capitalism requires consumers.

I don't particularly like the word either, however, it's just a word. It can only have power over you if you allow it to...like anything else.

Thanks for your input Rareheart. This gives me an opportunity to further clarify my point- which is that most people don't often give much thought to the words that they use to label each other. Therefore when you say "it's just a word" I don't particularly resonate with that sentiment.

In my mind words are powerful and they resonate in the subconscious. Everything starts with a thought... a word. To me words are vibration... energy in motion. I believe that terms like this are called "buzz-words" for this very reason.

When people pick up on a buzz-word they tend to continually throw it around without regard for what it actually implies. Yes, I agree that anything will have power over us if we let it, but that becomes difficult when something is right in front of ones nose and they can't see it.

I believe that every word we use deserves careful consideration. As I write this it reminds me of something in a book called The Three Agreements- be impeccable with your word.

Once one realizes the power that words have it becomes easier to recognize the patterns of control that words can be a part of.

As Steve X pointed out "To consume is one thing but to be a consumer is another."
shiftmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote