Thread: Vitamin D3
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 04:03 AM   #17
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Vitamin D3

Good info on D3, thanks for bringing it up. I work in a health food store, so I'll offer the following: nearly all vitamin products begin in the laboratory. They are called USP Isolates. I'm sure they call them something different in the UK but the principle is the same. Some companies use a living culture to digest and metabolize the nutrients and then call the result "organic." The latest trend however in vitamins is total food-sourced nutrients with little or no use of synthetic isolates. These vits cost more but absorb more efficiently and generally achieve superior results even though the doses are smaller.

Vitamin D3 is a form of D that synergizes well with calcium, phosphorus, boron and other minerals. A good source is Bone Strength by New Chapter. Other companies sell D3 in gel caps - probably isolates - and there are some food-sourced D3 supplements, which would be tablets.

Vitamin D3 is cholecalciferol, the kind of D we manufacture from sunlight. The D2 we get from food sources is ergocalciferol. Whereas D2 must be processed first by the liver and then by the kidneys before becoming active in the body, D3 is fully active to begin with.

New research is coming out all the time. The newest biotransformed and food-sourced nutrients are light-years ahead of ordinary isolates. Also if you're into B12 supplementation for energy and mental acuity, be sure you're buying a sublingual methylcobalamin and not the usual cyanocobalamin.

I'm pretty good with nutrition questions. If I don't know the answer I can generally find it.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote