View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #24
celticstar
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Daily Solar Status and how to protect oneself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
ahhh, love the kiva idea. Think root cellar with old tires on top of the roof and then earth. I think the tires would help prevent against the solar but am not sure about gamma rays. Must have a least 5 feet of earth over head. I ran across some great root cellar plans and wanted to build one just to store the food, seed, tools and books. I had some ideas about the exterior as cinder blocks covered in polyurathane liner to prevent water leakage, covered in metal roofing and then lined inside with timber which could latter be taken outside to build a structure. But I also thought of a dome tent covered in layers of cement cloth built up and buried under 5 feet of used steel belted tires and earth as well. I just don't know yet as caves seem out of the question at this point. We have lava tubes but one really needs their underground shelter nearby if they want to get to it in a hurry.

The underground structure is to protect against CME and intense winds but how does one handle the ventilation in that type of structure given what may be going on outside? Is the structure also covered in copper lining?
Root cellar, exactly!
Given what may be happening outside it could take a mighty air filtration system for air intake. I was hoping to have enough space in mine to have plants. I am really envisioning some sort of underground biosphere I guess.
But if you only have to be down there for a short time a pipe with some sort of cap on both ends would work. Perhaps some venting slits on the outdoor part of the pipe.

I am considering using caliche bricks, or just pounded into forms for walls. There is another type of mud/wattle construction I have looked into also but the correct name escapes me right now. I think the idea of cinder blocks is a good one, just use the moisture shielding to encase it.

I have no specific plan. But you are sparking a lot of cognitive activity. lol
I have a friend I discuss this with sometimes and she said why couldn't we have individual residences connected by tunnels? Great idea, but quite an undertaking.

And yes, I would like to use some sort of mesh shielding to cover it.

My question to those in the know right now is-If I make a closet into a faraday cage can I use the ground in the electrical outlet to ground it?

Off to deal with daily life for awhile.
celticstar is offline   Reply With Quote