View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #21
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Re: Daily Solar Status and how to protect oneself

ahhh, love the kiva idea. Think root cellar with old tires on top of the roof and then earth. I think the tires would help prevent against the solar but am not sure about gamma rays. Must have a least 5 feet of earth over head. I ran across some great root cellar plans and wanted to build one just to store the food, seed, tools and books. I had some ideas about the exterior as cinder blocks covered in polyurathane liner to prevent water leakage, covered in metal roofing and then lined inside with timber which could latter be taken outside to build a structure. But I also thought of a dome tent covered in layers of cement cloth built up and buried under 5 feet of used steel belted tires and earth as well. I just don't know yet as caves seem out of the question at this point. We have lava tubes but one really needs their underground shelter nearby if they want to get to it in a hurry.

The underground structure is to protect against CME and intense winds but how does one handle the ventilation in that type of structure given what may be going on outside? Is the structure also covered in copper lining?