View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 AM   #19
celticstar
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Daily Solar Status and how to protect oneself

Oh my goodness Carol!
Weelll, I'm not really that shocked by your list. It's not like I haven't considered all that before many times.
You are leaps and bounds ahead of me with the solar water heater and solar generator.

I want to have some sort of deep cell battery array to power just the things I will need like a small fridge (or maybe the big one) lights, and maybe a hotplate.

Water is a different thing. Flushing toilets will be a problem. One item I did shell out some serious $$ (for me anyway) for was an ecoloblue. But it needs electricity also to work. So add that to my power needs.

I do have a nice little camp stove that runs on canisters. The canisters I have-about 24 of them were purchased at the same time Dad got the stove for Y2K. The canisters look to be in good condition, no corrosion or anything so I have my fingers crossed there.

I have about two weeks of dehydrated food for two people, but should get some more in, enough to last several months to a year.

I am considering a gas generator, but would prefer to get a solar-one or two of the stick variety.

Also want some of those seeds in a can. Will be planting a garden this spring. If we get solar CME/EMP/storms it could fry that so I want to seed to replant- maybe in containers.

I am going to find the alternative energy orgs around here and see if I can't get some help designing and implementing my deep cell system. I want to be able to generate power to store with my bicycle as well as with the generators.

Water and water storage are two of my main issues. 40 gal drums would be nice, but you have to be aware enough to get them filled, though I suppose they could sit around full until we need them.

Hot water for showers would have to come from some sort of 5 gal hanging black plastic thingy. If there were sun it would be easy. No sun, you got me, sponge baths I guess. And you'd be surprised how quickly you can adjust to bathing in cold water.

I have done laundry in the bathtub before having to heat some water and pour it in then pretend I was stomping grapes. It worked fairly well. But maybe the way to go there would be an old fashioned washtub and washboard. And once again with our new cold water detergents laundry could be done in cold water.

I would truly like to have some modicum of comfort if we lose power for some time, but can make do when necessary. Makes me all the more grateful when we get services back.

Medical supplies are a necessity. I just ordered some colloidal silver, c gold and MMS. I have a fair amount of first aid supplies left over from when Dad was making the transition. I would have to get a few more things like ointments.

As for your water catchment-if possible a windmill could move the water up to a small thank that would gravity feed. Or once again the old bicycle would work.

I would love to get an old car, but that doesn't appear to be in the works, maybe on the horizon. So I guess it's the bike or foot for now, though in my present location some roller blades would work too.

Actually I hope to be out in the country by 2012. I would like to dig a kiva type residence. Still trailing after that idea.

This is turning into a missal so I'll stop now.

I do get a grin thinking about all the exercise I will get on that bike.

Last edited by celticstar; 01-06-2010 at 05:41 AM.
celticstar is offline   Reply With Quote