Thread: Just saw Avatar
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
vril
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Just saw Avatar

The basic message I got was that humans are pretty greedy , selfish and mean. Although some of us can be pleasant to our neighbours when given a chance to get to know them.
I was expecting a very overt green message from the film, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be in that respect.
The message is certainly there, it also has a very Manga flavour to it in regards to the aboriginals connection to their earth through their spirit. This is explained in a convoluted way that I didn't really understand, I have a feeling the James Cameron didn't either.
All said and done the film was entertaining.
The story was not boring and I found the long play time of around 2 hours 40 minutes went by very quickly.
The FX are certainly taken to the next level in this film, the monition capture technology they used has really made a huge leap that adds a great deal of realism to the digital characters, their integration with real world footage is totally seamless, I was completely taken in by the digital characters, they convey an emotion and realism I have never before seen achieved with motion capture data and digital assets. The facial gestures are so closely matched to the actors portrayals it's as if your watching real flesh and blood beings. I certainly connected emotionally with the characters in this film and I did so straight away, that is a huge achievement in regards to this type of film making. Its only ever been done once before and that was with Gollum from LOTR. No surprise its Peter Jacksons WETA digital that achieved this breakthrough for Avatar.
I think the Alien world is incredibly done also, from the florescence that seems to purvey almost everything on the planet, the forest, plants and animals are all amazingly realised.
They truly capture a unique take on what an alien world could be like.
vril is offline   Reply With Quote