View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
Dean Plejaren
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Pay to post goes against the main philosopy

In this situation making people pay to post here is like making an organization to help homeless people for instance and then charging the homeless people to keep the organization running. It's just, self contradicting.

The entire project is about giving people a voice to be herd and providing communication and information. Sure you need to make money out of it but in a balanced way. It's fair to charge for some information you gather. But it isn't fair to charge more for a forum than the forum costs to run. You can even have 4 times as much as the forum cost to run just as a thank you. Beyond a healthy return for the effort made it's getting immoral. And a subscription charge would produce over 100 times more than what the forum costs to run and that becomes unbalanced.

If the PC work is in danger that is because you have being giving it out for free! It's worth more than that and now it seems to be in danger because of no balance achieved. You can only give so much....Until the laws of nature take that ability away because not being willing to receive what you need to continue. Now they are going to react by attempting to use something else the Avalon forum so they may continue giving other work out for free. That is an unusual approach and I don't think it will hold up.

I am convinced all the supporters energy that is behind Bill and Kerry is way more than enough to help the work continue, and so I don't think it's needed to resort to overcharging for this forum to have the work exist, and I think that is detrimental to achieving a balance in the long term. Even a fund raiser is better than a subscription and that is proved by all those in the other thread that were willing to give more money than the actual subscription cost, just to stop it happening!

If you are listening to the people who support this cause who are discerningly useful you would find another more balanced way to channel their support so you may continue, rather than going against a majority of supporters by making a decision they do not find appealing. A decision which is clearly a mistake.

Last edited by Dean Plejaren; 11-22-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Dean Plejaren is offline   Reply With Quote