View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Church
Avalon Senior Member

Default Serious question about popping the question (could use women's advice here)

Hello everyone. Yes, I am posing a rather serious question to a buncha strangers on an internet forum, lol. But the reason for this is twofold: first, sometimes you get the best advice from strangers, because they don't necessarily tell you what you want to hear... and second, because come on, this is Project Avalon, home of the awakened souls from around the world!

Okay, so I love my girlfriend. I plan on proposing to her in the very near future. The "problem" I keep running into in my mind when I think this through is that I am not much of a "consumerist" and I don't really participate in much of our economy, up to and including jewelry stores. I'm not a big fan of materialism, and objects that cost lots of money, and that sort of thing.

And my girlfriend is just as much a hippy as I am. She knows how I feel about consuming, and buying things, and spending money just because it's what we're supposed to do, that sort of thing. Yet, she is a woman, and, correct me if I'm wrong ladies, but don't even the least materialistic of women out there still enjoy jewelry? At least the kinds that pertain to sacred unions?

So basically, yeah, my issue is that I think I'm supposed to buy a ring to put on her finger when I propose, aren't I? To you women out there who might find yourselves NOT to be the typical woman out there, and aren't into materialism and participating in our corrupt economy, what do you recommend I do?

As much as I believe my girlfriend believes that she is not interested in material things, something tells me she would find an interest if I don't attempt to come up with an engagement ring.

Am I overthinking any or all of this? Can I just find a secondhand ring from someone on like craigslist or something, or are engagement rings something that should be bought brand new, for symbolic purposes? Should I try "making" a ring to put on her finger, for that corny "yes my boyfriend soldered together a ring for me" kind of look? Should I just propose without a ring? I'm having a panic attack, because I don't want any part of this to go wrong. I know that women remember this day for the rest of their lives...

What do I do? I want to propose to her under the stars on a cruise we are taking in a few weeks, so I want all my ducks in a row. Thanks to anyone who offers me any advice.
Church is offline   Reply With Quote