View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
zorgon

Default Re: Alice in Wonderland Through the Looking Glass

I have it on VERY good authority (to my satisfaction ) that above the doorway at S4 in Area 51 There is an Alice Character above the door...

I won't say what it is... John knows and so do a few others but when someone can tell me what it is I will take their word for it that they have been there

There has been a lot of talk and concern about CERN recently. Well I suppose opening black holes, mini or not would raise even Spock's eyebrows a little.

But there is a little less known part of CERN that caught my attention...

The ALICE PORTAL

Welcome to ALICE Portal

The ALICE Collaboration is building a dedicated heavy-ion detector to exploit the unique physics potential of nucleus-nucleus interactions at LHC energies. Our aim is to study the physics of strongly interacting matter at extreme energy densities, where the formation of a new phase of matter, the quark-gluon plasma, is expected.
The existence of such a phase and its properties are key issues in QCD for the understanding of confinement and of chiral-symmetry restoration. For this purpose, we intend to carry out a comprehensive study of the hadrons, electrons, muons and photons produced in the collision of heavy nuclei. Alice will also study proton-proton collisions both as a comparison with lead-lead collisions in physics areas where Alice is competitive with other LHC experiments

Welcome to ALICE Portal

ALICE, is the acronym for A Large Ion Collider Experiment, one of the largest experiments in the world devoted to research in the physics of matter at an infinitely small scale. Hosted at CERN , the European Laboratory for Nuclear Research, this project involves an international collaboration of more than 1000 physicists, engineers and technicians from 30 countries. Together they are contributing to the resolution of one of the latest challenges in fundamental physics: recounting the birth of matter.

Alice events from first LHC Beams