Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE)

Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) (http://projectavalon.net/forum/index.php)
-   Spirituality (http://projectavalon.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Cults! (http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20609)

Anchor 03-04-2010 09:45 AM

Cults!

INTERNET CULTS

The following information is presented for you, charged with the intent to help others avoid the subtle deceit of the internet cult.

In one way, you can read it as about mental clarity and hygiene, another way you can read it as light vs dark.

The core message is: take good care that you detect and if necessary avoid cult led thinking and thought-forms. Grasp your sword of truth, and with it excise such darkness from your life. What you read and accept is your responsibility. You can accept or reject whatever you like, and it must be you that does it.

I am not a qualified person. I expect that qualified readers will read this document and it is my hope they will add their professional clarity thereby enriching my message. The information below should be filtered knowing that I have claimed no authority and it should be rejected if found to be in error when tested within your-self.

It has been my observation that internet based cults start in easily identifiable stages, and each stage is accompanied by certain traits. These observations have enabled me to put together some information that may be able to work as a detection kit.

Here is a simple check list that I use to identify “cults”, “cult like thinking” and “cult formation”

1) First stage (Preparation/Introduction)
a. Enigmatic, new and unusually different thinking
b. Charismatic powerful personalities
c. Rigorous politeness and charm
d. Flattery – the less control of your ego you have, the easier that gets!

2) Second stage (Cultivation)
a. Unfolding of a stream of new and interesting information
b. Employment of devices used to create and maintain the drip feed of new (often these ones are making it up as they go along)
c. Use of anticipation as a means to create an atmosphere of expectancy – most often seen as the requirement to wait until certain dates before things happen or information is revealed
d. Many devices employed to emphasize the importance of the leader (extreme busyness, fragility, short temper, intolerance, hidden knowledge etc) [these traits are often suppressed at first, until they can be excused by those being hooked in]

It is important to state that up to stage (2) it is just as likely that you are seeing the presentation of information in good faith but by someone with a flair for the dramatic, or by someone with genuine hard to control constraints on their time etc. It is the stages after this that are the real defining point where serious attention needs to be placed on the process, because at this point several red flags should be being raised. Even if the person leading this process doesn’t know it, they are entering territory where it is very easy to mislead and unwittingly override the audience/members better judgement.

Cult groups maturing beyond the formative stages above, may well have formed by the coming together of: Genuinely real information, naturally and innocently dramatic presentation. However at this point, the messenger or emerging “leader” is ripe for external subversion and compromise by dark forces on the lookout for any suitable “channel” through whom they may gain magnified expression.

Therefore what can start innocently can easily move on to stage (3) but at this point the original messenger is not really working for his or her own original agenda – having been either obsessed or possessed by external and malevolent forces. Typically in the accidental situation you have a messenger with an under developed levels of psychic defence, distorted ego, personal issues that provide the necessary chinks in the armour for this to happen.

3) Third stage (Separation and Inculcation) This is the phase that really should be prompting you to tread extremely carefully and turn up the levels of discrimination and personal protection
a. Each member of the audience is contacted and invited to a special group /forum /meeting place. The internet provides many mechanisms for this where the work and succeeding stages can be followed
b. More details are bought forth as in stage 2, but only revealed to the separated members (generally speaking those that bought into the initial story) – at this point the members are being subjected to repeating information and reinforcement that they are special or different
c. Peer pressure will start to be cultivated, peer pressure is an essential part of stage 3 because this is one of the pre-cursors to the effectiveness of later stages and one of the means to prevent escape

People who have recently undergone significant personal consciousness changes or transpersonal experiences are especially weakened to the malevolent, obsessive or seductive forces involved in the move to stage three. People in that situation are best advised to get away from the new information – spend a few days grounding themselves and assimilating the experiences before rushing into new ones – so that the inner eyes can remain open and you can return with inner clarity before proceeding under un-encumbered freewill.

Later stages of cults will include some, all or a selection of the following - any time you see anyone of these, your bull**it detectors, and incoming darkness meter should hit the red zone, flags should wave and alarms go off.

• The requirement for attending physical meetings: with no regard to the cost or inconvenience.
• The requirement for you to change your lifestyles in some way, in ways you would not naturally have considered
• Initially some, but increasing or total financial involvement
• Mind control techniques that cannot easily be applied using the internet/written word: Love bombing, sleep deprivation, enforced intense study, repetition, sexual distractions, etc
• The requirement for you to be separated from your worldly assets and emotional support structures, family, friends etc.
• Assignment of special missions, titles or qualities
• Requirement to protect and fight for the leader!

A lot of the control techniques exerted on a cult member are very similar to the kinds of obsessive controls exerted by men in dominating or abusive co-dependent relationships. I have past experience of situations wherein men have controlled every aspect of their spouse’s lives so that they are completely trapped. In many ways escaping from a cult (deep into stage 4 in terms of this essay) is very similar to the challenge of escaping from a psychotic partner and a co-dependent relationship.

I was approached recently by a woman involved in a situation very similar to the above, which had just had a near miss, but owing to her inner honesty and spiritual maturity had reacted well when the first feelings arose that something was not right. I was able to spontaneously produce the following message that I feel was strongly inspired by my higher self and that was affirmative of the correctness of the course adjustment taken: I reproduce it here because it is actually relevant not just to her, but anyone who gets into a situation with what may turn out to be a cult and then changes their mind.

“********, you get to make all the decisions that affect your life and your future – every single one. Saying no and resisting trickery and pressure is your birthright. It is perfectly ok to have been down a path, and decided that it may be better to get to where you planned on, and then going by a different one. In making these decisions you must come first, because you are responsible for the outcomes of all of them. Putting others before yourself, especially people that you don’t really know should not really be a primary factor in making those decisions”

My feeling is that situations come along in life that change us, or change our friends. In rare cases these are divisive. As we all evolve it can often be the case that we separate, and the likeness attracting likeness moves us to a new group. This can, sadly, be the ending of some friendships in a 3D sense.

My humble request is that you carefully assess the motives behind all of the online structures and organizations that you encounter on the internet. Do this just as you would structures and organizations in real life, examine them in the light of common sense and allow the infinite inner love and wisdom guide your actions.

I honestly believe that I have written the above in the light and in the love of the one infinite creator – in whom I ask for the guidance and protection of all, and for the highest and best good of all!

Love

AJ..

rhythm 03-04-2010 10:00 AM

Re: Cults!

http://www.shopatoz.tv/images/upload...heart_full.jpg

you make some very good points here Anchor ..:thumb_yello:

im coming to the end of my journey here (duality)

and all i can realy say to you all is

i traveld many paths ...

heard great men and wimon speak ( and some dodgy ones too:lol3:)

but now i learned .. somtimes the hard way :wall

that the truth is in me ..so simple .. :original:

follow your heart .:wub2:. try not to lie to youself ..:nono:

forgive.. be.. commpasionate...take care of you ...

your worth it :wub2:love always rhythmmm:wub2:

A great and timely post Anchor....

Oliver 03-04-2010 10:15 AM

Just excellent, Anchor!

Malletzky 03-04-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchor (Post 248379)
I honestly believe that I have written the above in the light and in the love of the one infinite creator – in whom I ask for the guidance and protection of all, and for the highest and best good of all!

Love

AJ..

You certainly did mate :thumb_yello:

love back to you :wub2:
malletzky

morguana 03-04-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

INTERNET CULTS

Love

AJ..

and i believe that you have too, such a super post anchor, i hope it gets read by many here.

love and light to you
m x

greybeard 03-04-2010 10:31 AM

Hi Anchor
What you say is very accurate and good guidance.
Following your heart is not.
Everyone attracted into a cult thinks they are following their heart.
Till the third eye opens we can be led into all kinds of trouble for the right reasons.
Discernment and discrimination are very important after all it is your soul.
Dr David Hawkins in his book "Truth versus Falsehood" gives similar guidance to Anchor and suggests some safe paths/ teachers to follow.

Chris
Namaste

Ross H 03-04-2010 10:32 AM

Supreme post,

:winksmiley02:

mudra 03-04-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

INTERNET CULTS

“********, you get to make all the decisions that affect your life and your future – every single one. Saying no and resisting trickery and pressure is your birthright. It is perfectly ok to have been down a path, and decided that it may be better to get to where you planned on, and then going by a different one. In making these decisions you must come first, because you are responsible for the outcomes of all of them. Putting others before yourself, especially people that you don’t really know should not really be a primary factor in making those decisions”

Love

AJ..

I believe this is what it takes to know one's heart and live by it .

Thank you

Love Always
mudra

Aztar 03-04-2010 11:08 AM

Great work Anchor :)

Here is a quick clue for cult identification, cult members are prone to gang up on anyone they feel is a detractor and try to bait them with questions to deflect any serious questions put to them about there organization.

Also cults can use techniques that were originally perfected by the CIA, as in "Asset" acquirement, manipulation & control though well thought out and planed seemingly random events around a "Asset" that lead them down a structured path they believe they found on there own.

Think I've had any run ins with cults, you betcha I have.

Céline 03-04-2010 11:11 AM

Some how i completly relate to the guy holding th camera...

Great post Aztar..Great thread Anchor

Jay 03-04-2010 12:15 PM

Thank you for this posting! :original:

pureheart7 03-04-2010 12:49 PM

Excellent~~Thank You. Free Will is a topic worth discussing.

Frank Samuel 03-04-2010 01:04 PM

Thank you anchor . Through my travels I was involved with many groups and yes every group tells you that following them is the way to salvation, bad things will happen to those that do not follow their rules, It is a way to try and control your mind and emotions. The sharing with others inside of these groups create friendships that trap you into staying within these groups. I was kicked out of a few groups and others I decided to leave.:lol3:
The way to establishing a heart to heart connection to the origin of all things is within you , you do not need to follow anyone, much less these groups .
You have the power to transform your life to achieve happiness and inner peace. The answers to all of your questions are found within you.
For me this is one of the reasons I am so emphatic about being your own person, reclaiming your sovereignty. Too many people around the world get trap by many of these groups some for their entire lifetime. Is time to wake up , become independent, the spiritual journey is different for all of us yet our destination is the same, shed your attachments to these groups and follow your own path, you'll be okay . Thank you Anchor for the post.

Blessings to all..:original::thumb_yello::wub2::wub2::wub2:

justpeter 03-04-2010 01:21 PM

Aztar, I'm not sure how appropriate that Scientology video is to this thread. I'm not aware of Scientology being an "Internet Cult". I was in Scientology for over 15 years and I didn't associate it particularly with this thread until I saw your post.

Yes, it could be called a cult but in my opinion it contains a huge amount of valuable information which was vitally necessary for my spiritual growth. Would I recommend the Church of Scientology to anyone else? Absolutely not, but I would recommend Scientology tech to anyone so long as they got the data from the freezone (outside of the official church).

Scientology is a HUGE subject and it is easy to dismiss it as only a cult. In my opinion it deserves a more measured type of discussion.

That's my two-cents worth.

Peter

futureyes 03-04-2010 01:41 PM

thank you anchor ... wonderful post ...
we are human ... at times we place more trust in another or others than we place in our own selves ... giving up our power in the interim ...
come to the realization of what truly is actual ... take back our power and return to self for the wiser ...
sometimes a quick realization of truth ... sometimes truth to surface is a greater challenge for us ... the lesson takes longer ... those paths we chose leading us deeper and further from our truth ...
discernment indeed ... coupled with what we feel to be appropriate within our hearts ...
we may be led astray ... it is within everyone's free will ... to return to our own truth ... what feels true ... appropriate ...
internet cults and individual manipulators ... are everywhere ... we should not be so naive to think they are not ... for they are ...
be true to yourself ... as rhythm wrote ... try not to lie to our selves ...
only we can know ... our own truth ...
our own truth ... can only be found within our own core ... no where else ...
when another or others 'tell' you ... your truth is this or it is that ... however neatly it is packaged and presented ... red flags should appear ...
no one knows your truth ... only you do ...
frank samuel ... thank you for your words ...
anchor ... my hope is that everyone reads your post ...

:wub2:

Stardustaquarion 03-04-2010 01:47 PM

Thank you Anchor, excelent post!:thumb_yello:

That is why, and because of previous experiences that I know that the only way forward is to follow oneself

Self empowerment
Self Love
Self responsibility

:wub2:

Myplanet2 03-04-2010 01:53 PM

Excellent post AJ. Great bunch of info to add to the filters.

I'd add that it's not likely that Cult leaders follow some scripted play book when collecting a following, and so may not necessarily follow the above broader strokes in sequence.

Your heart doesn't lie. It's not capable of it. The more one centers their consciousness in their heart, the less they can be led astray.

We're in the relative no-mans-land between the 3rd and 5th dimensions. thinking mind is the filter for the 3rd and heart is the filter for the 5th. Learning to separate them in ones discernment is the key, or one of the keys. They are both valid filters, but the mind is immersed in illusions and accepts illusions as real. The Heart never makes that mistake.

As in your advice at the bottom of your post, each must do their own discerning and decision making. The process must be respected, or it is bypassed and nothing is learned.

There can be a temptation to "stop" someone from being drawn into a cult. There can be a lining up in opposition to a cult. But that level of play draws on 3D structures, not 5D. 5D is a place of balance where the heart is simply trusted, because it is never in error. And part of that trust is a trust in others to have the same facility available to them, as well.

Who knows what another's life path is. perhaps being drawn into a cult is a big part of it. Since the mind is accepting and even reinforcing of illusions, often we don't even know what our own lifes path is, until we exit a chapter with some great lesson learned. The proverbial "Aha...That's what that was all about". The Silver lining which emerges from the cloud.

Our higher selves set up some pretty dramatic experiences here in 3D, and it is easy to believe they weren't something we were arranging for ourselves as an opportunity to grow and understand, and exceed previous limitations.

The significance of the Laws from the handbooks grows as our experiences grow to embrace them. The laws of attraction, allowance, deliberate intent and balance all mean more to me than they did when I first read about them. balance requires the other 3 in order to come online. This then begs the question about whether we interfere with another's efforts at achieving balance, if we do not "allow" them to "attract" to them factors which will put them on a fence which they must then use their personal discernment to arrive at a decision which permits "deliberate intent".

Any situation can be approached from a bottom up or a top down perspective. Top down grants others their Godhood, and says I know you'll be ok, no matter what you choose. Bottom up says, "you better watch out, I smell danger for you!!", and it can be kind of undermining, even when the intentions are purly loving.

HORIZONS 03-04-2010 01:56 PM

Very good post .. much wisdom within it.

stal 03-04-2010 02:36 PM

good post anchor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myplanet2 (Post 248480)
I'd add that it's not likely that Cult leaders follow some scripted play book when collecting a following, and so may not necessarily follow the above broader strokes in sequence.

if you look into it, a lot of them kinda do.

Aztar 03-04-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justpeter (Post 248468)
Aztar, I'm not sure how appropriate that Scientology video is to this thread. I'm not aware of Scientology being an "Internet Cult". I was in Scientology for over 15 years and I didn't associate it particularly with this thread until I saw your post.

Yes, it could be called a cult but in my opinion it contains a huge amount of valuable information which was vitally necessary for my spiritual growth. Would I recommend the Church of Scientology to anyone else? Absolutely not, but I would recommend Scientology tech to anyone so long as they got the data from the freezone (outside of the official church).

Scientology is a HUGE subject and it is easy to dismiss it as only a cult. In my opinion it deserves a more measured type of discussion.

That's my two-cents worth.

Peter

I hear you justpeter.

The title of the thread is Cults, i wouldn't get to picky with the Internet cults part.

A cult by any other name is still a cult, the same tactics apply, I'm aware that the early work done by Scientology was extremely beneficial to the early practitioners but that was then and this is now and what it is now is a cult. (freezone excluded)

Something that starts out as helpful and beneficial can also be infiltrated and changed from the inside to another agenda.

I could just as easily have used Landmark or Moonies as an example but i chose that video because it shows Tactics.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found some other information that may be helpful.

WHAT ARE CULTS?

The term "cult" is something that is very difficult to define. There are many different forms of cults, and precise definitions are often difficult. There are many negative stereotypes that also exist. Supporters and members often refer to cults as "new religions" or part of the new religious movement which gives them a little more credibility. Some definitions of cults are.

"a religious movement which makes a fundamental break with the religious traditions of the culture and which is composed of individuals who had or seek mystical experience (Galanter)."

"a group or movement exhibiting a great or excessive devotion or dedication to some person, idea or things, and employing unethical, manipulative or coercive techniques of persuasion and control (e.g. isolation from former friends and family, debilitation, use of special methods to heighten suggestibility and subservience, powerful group pressures, information management, promotion of total dependency on the group and fear of leaving it, suspension of individuality and critical judgment, and so on, designed to advance the goals of the group's leaders, to the possible or actual detriment of members, their families, or the community (West)."

"a highly manipulative group which exploits its members and can cause psychological, financial and physical harm. It dictates in an absolute manner the behaviour, thoughts and emotions of its followers. Manipulation techniques are used to transform the new recruit into a loyal, obedient and subservient member (Info-Cult)."

While a specific definition of a "cult" may be difficult, there are several common factors that seem to be a part of the kinds of cults that raise concern. While every group is different in their specific beliefs and rituals, some more common factors of cults are:

* has a living leader;
* cult doctrine based on leaders' techniques and beliefs;
* members adhere to leaders' beliefs;
* leader may claim special powers or connection to a higher being;
* leader is sole judge of dedication and quality of member's faith
* leader may be very comfortable while members suffer (leader may eat while others starve; leader may have sex while others remain celibate);
* leader may predict the end of the world;
* cult may say that it works to save the world but helps no one outside the cult;
* daily work demeaning;
* cults provide salvation - anyone outside cult is evil;
* members must cut self off from past life;
* ego destruction and thought control;
* questioning religion and criticism frowned upon - sign of bad faith; intolerance of other beliefs;
* individuality frowned upon;
* emphasize moneymaking;
* structure and discipline;
* non traditional religion;
* no grey area - everything and everyone is either right or wrong; pure or evil;
* members give up right to think and decide for themselves;
* use manipulative and unethical means to get members - i.e. do not provide a full explanation of who group is and what they do.

Source: http://www.victimsofviolence.on.ca/r...=337&Itemid=27

orthodoxymoron 03-04-2010 03:08 PM

Thank-you for posting this Anchor. Perhaps we need to be saved from our saviors. My guess is that a lot of people (and aliens?) start out with good intentions...which subsequently pave the road to hell. I don't really know what the proper balance point is regarding leaders and followers. Perhaps a leader who teaches followers to be leaders is a good sign. Perhaps we need a plurality of facilitators rather than leaders. I don't know. I watched an interview with L. Ron Hubbard which I thought was very good...but I wouldn't touch Scientology with a 100 foot pole. I grew up in a church which many have called a cult. I later attended a megachurch headed by an extremely charismatic and articulate televangelist...with cultish characteristics. I ended up being disillusioned by both organizations...although I learned a lot from both of them. Perhaps the bottom-line is that "Power Corrupts. Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely." Perhaps the first and last commandment should be "Thou Shalt Have No Gods". Perhaps all paths are problematic...and that we should not have unreasonable expectations.

'Called to Be Free' is a video about the upheaval and transformation in the Worldwide Church of God. Even if you are not interested in religion or spirituality...it is a case study in human behavior, group sociology...and how change occurs in a religious organization...or any organization. YouTube - Called To Be Free What happened to these people can happen to you or me. It's about leadership, abuse of power, gullibility, money, etc. Learn from other people's mistakes. People can dispense with one delusion...and accept another to replace the first. How about everything being up for grabs...all the time? Is this too emotionally upsetting? We desire certainty and peace...yet the world around us is constantly changing...and people and paradigms are in collision. Do we have to lie to ourselves and others...and live in a dreamworld...in order to find peace with ourselves and others? Can New Agers be just as deluded as the Old Agers? Can a very cool and hip new age guru take people for a ride just as easily as a Bible-thumping fundamentalist egomaniac in a megachruch? I'm beginning to despair regarding learning the lessons necessary to properly conduct business on Earth. The propensity of humanity toward delusion is disillusioning...to say the least. The gravitation toward sensation...will sink us. The lessons which one can learn from this video...can be applied to all religious and philosophical systems...especially where charismatic leaders and group peer-pressures are involved. One can think that they are right...and that there is no way that they could be wrong...yet in a few short months or years...they can find themselves drowning in disillusionment. I predict that there will be videos similar to this one regarding the New Age Movement. People have been burned over and over again...throughout the centuries. Please learn the lessons derived from the rude awakenings of the people in this video...and apply these lessons to the contemporary alternative thinking scene. I realize that we need to rethink everything...but that we need to rethink our rethinking...in most cases.

:original:Namaste:original:

Steven 03-04-2010 03:12 PM

Wow! Thank you so much for this Anchor. Very well presented and rounded. I agree with all you said and it is very timely and precious to all of us here. :thumb_yello:

Namaste, Steven

Majorion 03-04-2010 03:23 PM

Doesn't the Council of Thuban constitute an internet cult, correct me if I'm wrong.

Aztar 03-04-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majorion (Post 248509)
Doesn't the Council of Thuban constitute an internet cult, correct me if I'm wrong.

oh boy!

GRENADE!!

*leaps for cover*

Stardustaquarion 03-04-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majorion (Post 248509)

I think it fits the bill quite smugly but I also think that it is better to let the matter rest and do not add more fuel to the fire

We have spent so much energy already!

I wish there is a win win situation on this one but it takes two to tango:wink2:

Love