Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE)

Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) (http://projectavalon.net/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (http://projectavalon.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Looking for ground crew, Canada (http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=779)

NorthernSanctuary 09-09-2008 10:55 PM

Looking for ground crew, Canada

Hi all,

I'm interested in creating a radiant zone as envisioned by Michael St. Clair in the Laurentians, Quebec and am looking for a core ground crew to get it going. I have 100+ acres at an elevation of 1500 feet, with streams and mountains about 1 hour from Montreal. I'm an engineer and will be interested in people that want to participate in forming a self sufficient community with complementary skills.

Many thanks to Bill and Kerry for their efforts for this forum. May we live in interesting times,
/Wayne

natureaware 09-10-2008 04:25 PM

Re: Looking for ground crew, Canada

hello this sounds very interesting to me i live in south nb and as you can see by my pics i am very close to the terran you are suggesting i do own some land in the hills and have quite a few outside skills loving the natural world as i do may be of some help when survival is call upon .please let me know more of your plan i am interested thanks brian

Jenn 09-10-2008 05:05 PM

Hi Northern!
I would love to move back closer to Montreal... its the rents out there that keep me away and why I moved. Maybe its cheaper outside the city?
I have a horse now too, my life long dream, but I have to keep him at the race track... I bought my own barn there for a thousand bucks... bucks :naughty: .
It's still not the same as having a horse on your own land, but I am so great full anyhow. I tried filling water with positive thoughts and desires, I got a horse, and my B/F got a job. He is working in a nursing home, but the pay is minimum.
He is very over worked as they are under staffed but it is an amazing opportunity and he loves the job. He gets his last certificate next month and is already in demand because he works hard and people like him. He also does painting and construction on the side when he can.
But we miss our family's in the city!
What area of the Laurentian's are you in?

Peace! ~ Jenn

THE eXchanger 09-10-2008 09:15 PM

Greetings N.S.,
i am currently in toronto,
with a home,
that, i plan to convert,
into funds, to build a place

currently i am in ontario

brightest blessings

i am susan
aka the eXchanger

NorthernSanctuary 09-11-2008 12:34 AM

Hi Brian, Jean, Susan,

Here's some more info:

The land is near St. Agathe. The picture/Avatar you see is from the private road going around the mountain and flowing down to a plateau; from the plateau the land flows down to the valley about 50 feet down. The land is very secluded, as it is surrounded by mountains. There are many streams, and a trout stream in the valley between the mountains. I'm finishing a house that I built; power will be hydro from the streams, possibly wind and others. From the land, you can only hear the sounds of nature, as the main road is over 2 km away. In terms of a safe zone, this location is very good; it took me over 6 months to find. it.

The land is large enough to accommodate different community ideas. I feel the initial priority at this time is for shelter, and growing food, but my intention, if we have time, is to have a high technology self sufficient community networking with other similar communities along the ideas of Michael St. Clair. I am open to suggestions/discussions on how to accomplish this.

If you are interested, send me your email privately, and I'll send you a slide show of the land.

/Wayne

Cyberbird 09-11-2008 02:33 AM

Cool. What is the elevation [above sea] of your domain?

loggingsongs 09-11-2008 03:49 AM

Is there anyone in Bruce county, Ontario out there ? Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy, so if things go bad in the next month it would be nice to know that there was someone else within reach who understands what's really starting.

NorthernSanctuary 09-11-2008 11:41 AM

Hi,

it's at 1500+ feet. To be safe after a pole shift in the worse case, you should be +600 feet above sea level and 100+ miles inland.

yohnor 09-11-2008 12:40 PM

Nice to see a few Canadian's paying attention. Keep your ear to the ground.

COEXIST 09-11-2008 01:24 PM

Hey I'm in Ottawa with a nice view of the those hills in the distance.

I'm wealth poor but talent rich and looking to contribute

Kukulcanessa 09-12-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loggingsongs (Post 6436)
Is there anyone in Bruce county, Ontario out there ? Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy, so if things go bad in the next month it would be nice to know that there was someone else within reach who understands what's really starting.

im from around toronto, ontario, and im regarded as seriously insane for all the ancient things i read, about the earth, and acient civilizations, and so i stopped talking about it to people who dont want to listen, and started preparing for myself. im kind of glad i dont have any kids right now.

micjer 09-24-2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

I am not too far away. I am in Grey county on southern georgian bay!

NorthernSanctuary 09-24-2008 04:48 AM

One of the projects that I wanted to do was to create a Tai-Chi/Yoga/Meditation center as part of the community. It's important to maintain a body/mind/spiritual practice as part of the preparations for the coming times. The center is financed by sponsors contributing $25-30,000. This allows them to have a private room and shared common areas. When they are not using the room, it can be used to generate income for the sponsor. To lower the sponsor cost, 2 people may share a room and split the cost.

Anyone interested in participating can contact me for details.

/Wayne

333mark333 09-24-2008 04:55 AM

Good luck!! from chilly churchill on the bay.

mervo 09-26-2008 02:59 AM

Quote:

Well yes, I am in Bruce County and no, you are not crazy.
I have a pretty good idea what's happening. It's not coming
down, it's already in our faces but not to worry 'ockey and 'unting
starts soon.

webmaster@mervo.com

crowmirror 09-26-2008 03:13 AM

THE eXchanger 09-26-2008 03:40 AM

that sounds very interesting...

we have plans for a huge place...

however, it appears,
that perhaps, smaller, might be a lot better

are there other pieces of property
for sale, in the same region ???
so someone might live elsewhere,
and, work on site ?
thanks/susan

NorthernSanctuary 09-26-2008 11:38 AM

Hi Susan,

Yes, there are properties on sale. It's within the heart of the Laurentians, and there are many small towns where the real estate growth has been occuring (within 10-20 minutes), so a buy and sell can give you a profit.

We only need to show that a prototype self sufficient community can be created to work (a proof of concept). After that, we can duplicate it all over and form a network of communities.

/Wayne

PS: Spymonk, thanks for offer. exChanger has a lot of ideas on 'exchanging', so will definitly look into how a program can be created with you in mind.

NorthernSanctuary 10-02-2008 06:41 PM

Low Cost Shelter Project Proposal:

Here's another project I want to work on in parallel with the retreat center: From the feedback I got with forum members, there are many that have limited funds. So this project addresses those people specifically: It is a project to build low lost bunker shelters that would have the best chance to survive the changes, including the shift. The idea is to take a shelter concept like a camping tent or Indian tepee, and ruggedized it. Here's the proposal outline:

Concrete bunkers of cylindrical shape (pill box shape) for strength, re-enforced with steel (rebar mesh) 20 feet in diameter.
Each shelter compartmentised into 4 rooms (floor area is 1/4 of a circle).
Insulated for winter, integrated wood stove for heating
Includes right to limited land access for growing food.
To be used for camping (year round) before the shift, shared revenue generation stream.
Designed to be integrated with Green house in the future, community utilities as it becomes available.

Initial applicants limited to people participating in Basic Food project.

Basic Food Project Proposal:

The purpose of this project is to gain experience in growing food. Looking for people that have interest and/or experience in growing food/ vegetable gardens. The food will be divided between the people that grow the food and the community.

Interest parties can contact me for comments/questions/ further details. I would also be interested in people's opinion if they would prefer an "insulated tepee" semi-permanent structure as opposed to the concrete bunker concept.

/Wayne

Myplanet2 10-02-2008 11:11 PM

Some of the monolithic dome structures might work for what you have in mind.

I don't know how you'd get around getting concrete to a remote location, but it's possible if you have enough interest to set up a temporary concrete plant.

Of if it's not to far from a population centre, you could get a set delaying additive for the transit time.

For food, you'd be probably looking at hydroponics and/or green/hot houses for the first few winters.

The monolithic dome construction is pretty ingenious. You inflate a dome, spray the inside with polyurethane insulation which turns rigid. About 6 inches would be plenty. then you anchor a mesh to it and spry the gunnite all over the inside as though it was an upside down swimming pool. (same concrete).

Then you paint of overlay a waterproof membrane over the outside, and you're ready for interior decorating. They are supposed to be able to be heated with a few light bulbs, but I'm not sure of that would apply to Canada.

NorthernSanctuary 10-03-2008 02:55 AM

Hi Myplanet2,

As long as you have a road to the location, you can get a concrete truck to the location. I've already done that since I've built a house using concrete on the land. Yes, there's all kinds of addictive you can add to modify the concrete characteristics.

The simplest way to grow food is your standard garden, but I hope to get into aquaphonics/hydroponics later on. i'm looking at geodesic domes for the green house. There's a certain amount of research and experience that we need to accumulate to grow successfully. That's why I want to get started on this early on.

The monolithic dome is an interesting technique, but expensive ($60,000 for the balloon form for a 60 feet). I'm not aware of such construction in Canada, but I've read up on it. I'm primarily looking for the most bang for the buck. There are monolithic dome techniques using a rebar skeleton that don't need the balloon form.

/Wayne

MacGyverCanada 10-07-2008 02:39 AM

Hey all... I'm in NS now, soon off to BC to study renewable energy (and hide out) but will soon afterward be looking for some community. Keep in touch!

MacGyverCanada 10-07-2008 02:42 AM

NS, try looking up earth mound construction: Pile up a bunch of dirt, carve ribs into it, and encase it in concrete. Then just dig the dirt out and bam: you've got a dome. A south facing half-dome with big thermal windows would be a nice greenhouse!

MacGyverCanada 10-07-2008 02:46 AM

And also remember that A - concrete is an excellent thermal mass if it is insulated on the outer surface from both ground and air, and B - concrete ain't a bad insulator against gamma rays either ;)

NorthernSanctuary 10-07-2008 03:23 AM

Hi MacGyver,

I built my house using ICF (insulated concrete forms), so it is cooler during the day, and warmer at night; the thermal mass moderates the temperatures. You can see it in the picture album. The proposed concrete bunkers have the insulation on the outside, so will be used as a thermal mass and radiation shield.

Your idea for using the earth as a mold, only works if you don't find a big rock when you try to dig out the earth, otherwise the rock stays as an ornament! There are other techniques using a steel rebar frame and spraying shotcrete to create the dome. Needs some experimentation, but i've seen it work well. For the smaller bunkers, it is just as easy to use wood forms. I go to the West coast sometimes, so might possibly meet you there. Good luck on your studies.

/Wayne