Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE)

Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) (http://projectavalon.net/forum/index.php)
-   Project Avalon General Discussion (http://projectavalon.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What is a Victory Garden? (http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8702)

Carol 12-07-2008 07:19 PM

What is a Victory Garden?

Gardening for a Reason.
http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/s...&cid=pem001403

Victory Gardens, also known as liberty gardens, food gardens for defense, or war gardens, arose during World War I and World War II in order to lessen the pressure of the public food supply created by the war effort. These gardens were planted in backyards, on apartment-building rooftops, and in vacant lots that were commandeered for the war effort. Even public places such as Hyde Park in London, the Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, and the lawns around Riverside in New York City, had sections plowed up to grow various fruits, veggies, and herbs. Eleanor Roosevelt even got involved in bringing gardening to the home front, by growing a Victory Garden on the White House grounds! The Federal Government and private organizations, such as businesses, civic groups, and schools, promoted this idea through the use of posters, pamphlets, and other propaganda.

In recent years there has been an upsurge in interest in the Victory Garden once again, and at Park Seed they are doing everything we can to get more people involved in this effort! With a shaky economy, high gas prices, and more and more processed foods filling the grocery store shelves, there's no better time to bring gardening back in the form of personal and community gardens. Not only will it save you money, but it will also provide you with season after season of healthy, delicious food! These days, we all understand the importance of eating better, and it starts at home! Another advantage to growing your own food is the satisfaction of being self-sufficient. With a home garden, you'll know you can provide good food for your family and teach your children the joys of gardening, a skill that will benefit them the rest of their lives!

So Park Seed is picking up the reins of our fellow citizens and gardeners of old, and promoting the Victory Garden.

Baggywrinkle 12-07-2008 07:50 PM

Re: What is a Victory Garden?

A victory garden is making yourself a piece of toast from bread baked in your oven that came from wheat that you ground yourself and was grown with your own hands in your own garden. It is smeared with home made peanut butter and plum preserves from your own tree and was toasted on your stove rather than in an electric toaster.

It LOOKS different than anything you can get in a store. It TASTES different than anything you can buy. Nothing has been added and nothing has been taken away. Until you have made it yourself you don't know the meaning of WHOLE WHEAT BREAD.

The best part is it stays with you unlike anything you can buy. It is an entire meal, two slices of bread with peanut butter and preserves. You can go out cut your grass with a hand scythe for hours into the mid afternoon before you feel the pangs of hunger again. Nothing you can buy in the store even comes close.

I know, I have done it.

peacelovinman 12-09-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle (Post 92007)
A victory garden is making yourself a piece of toast from bread baked in your oven that came from wheat that you ground yourself and was grown with your own hands in your own garden. It is smeared with home made peanut butter and plum preserves from your own tree and was toasted on your stove rather than in an electric toaster.

It LOOKS different than anything you can get in a store. It TASTES different than anything you can buy. Nothing has been added and nothing has been taken away. Until you have made it yourself you don't know the meaning of WHOLE WHEAT BREAD.

The best part is it stays with you unlike anything you can buy. It is an entire meal, two slices of bread with peanut butter and preserves. You can go out cut your grass with a hand scythe for hours into the mid afternoon before you feel the pangs of hunger again. Nothing you can buy in the store even comes close.

I know, I have done it.

I couldn't agree more. Our family can't eat shop bought bread anymore - it's like eating fresh air! My lovely wife, Emma, bakes almost every day, as well as making lovely meals from our own home grown vegetables.

Great to see these things coming back into people's awareness.

Carol 12-09-2008 07:16 PM

Yup.. only I don't know how well grain grows here but we did just get our grain mill today so that was exciting. And I'm getting my daughter a sewing kit for Christmas.

Meanwhile, we also just got our Canned Garden Seeds of 16 non-hybrid hermetically sealed ziplocked packets, severn pages of instructions for growing pea, radish, onion, spinach, cabbage, swiss chard, beet, carrot, lettuce, beans, corn, cucumber, zucchini, green pepper, winter squash and tomato from Mountain Vallery Seeds, Inc. in Salt Lake, City, Utah. 16 jumbo sized packes over 1.4 lbs of seeds all for only $35. I went trhough info@efoodsdirect.com (800) 810-4441 for this item.

The grainmill we selected can be used both electric and manual should no electricity be available.

DoctorWho 12-10-2008 03:47 AM

I'm going to go the humorous route: The Victoy Garden is a program on PBS currently hosted by hunky-looking Australian guy.
Bill "the Doctor"

FrostyMcunicron 12-11-2008 09:05 PM

A victory garden is something i have in my yard & you should too.