Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE)

Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) (http://projectavalon.net/forum/index.php)
-   Health / Alternative Medicine (http://projectavalon.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Giving raw food a shot (http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20410)

Humble Janitor 02-26-2010 07:04 AM

Giving raw food a shot
 
Has anyone else tried buying a blender and making their own nutritious smoothies? I took the step and bought a $30 blender yesterday and about an equal amount in fresh organic (and some non-organic and frozen as well but mostly organic) fruits and some veggies. I'm experimenting already on finding the perfect base for a smoothie. I believe green tea would add more nutritional value but I don't want something that's going to overload the smoothie.

However, I did get crazy stomach pains from a smoothie I made with kiwi, carrots and spinach as well as one other ingredient that escapes me.

Is it possible that my body is not used to so many nutrients in a short time? I feel better and have more energy already.

Just made a chocolate banana milkshake as well. Yum and I could get the hang of buying fruits/veggies and making drinks out of them to get my nutrients.

Does anyone know of a way to stop a smoothie from congealing and separating after a few hours of refrigeration? I was thinking of freezing them in the cups I use, which are regular coffee mugs with BPA-free plastic (or something like that) on the inside. I could always thaw them out when ready to drink.

Boober 02-26-2010 07:28 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
If your trying to go this route look up the homie on youtube. Liferegenarator changed my whole outlook. He will amp you up and get you off ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw0fiTCp6ac

lisa 02-26-2010 07:53 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Humble Janitor, I love your posts!

Some food are toxic when eaten raw: http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-...tural%20toxins
Raw food can contain salmonella occasionally.
My friend who makes a raw veggie smoothie every morning said that beets & bananas are key to good taste.

Eating raw can get pretty expensive!
There are some smoothie recipes here, but the ingredients maybe expensive:
http://gliving.com/category/greenchefs/drinks/

This book recommends the following pricey equipment:
  • Excalibur Dehydrator
  • Champion Juicer (Heavy Duty Industrial Model)
  • Vita-Mix Blender (TurboBlend 4500)
  • Sumeet Grinder

Kulapops 02-26-2010 09:51 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa (Post 244331)
Humble Janitor, I love your posts!

Some food are toxic when eaten raw: http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-...tural%20toxins
Raw food can contain salmonella occasionally.
My friend who makes a raw veggie smoothie every morning said that beets & bananas are key to good taste.

Eating raw can get pretty expensive!
There are some smoothie recipes here, but the ingredients maybe expensive:
http://gliving.com/category/greenchefs/drinks/

This book recommends the following pricey equipment:
  • Excalibur Dehydrator
  • Champion Juicer (Heavy Duty Industrial Model)
  • Vita-Mix Blender (TurboBlend 4500)
  • Sumeet Grinder

Great article on toxins... Lisa... not as scary as it might seem at first if we just accept...all things in moderation...

HJ.. I have read that people who do not eat a lot of fruit... as soon as they start, they might expect to get diaorreah... I believe this has something to do with the energy in the new good food being used to purge the system. Maybe the cramps is a similar issue. However...I'm no medic! if it doesn't settle down you should see someone who knows...

But I ate a LOT of raw salad last year... and always felt better for it. the book Never Be Sick Again is well worth a read (see his video on mediaconsciousnetwork to if you're interested )

Good luck with becoming healthier ! It can't hurt ! :original:

K

mu2143 02-26-2010 09:56 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
If you want to get some foods with a punch then I suggest to added

Blue-Green Algae Powder
Cheapest I could find
http://www.capsuline.com/product_inf...roducts_id=162

And Chlorella
http://www.chlorella-alg.com/

Get some seaweed powder like dulse or kelp for iodine supply etc

I just purchased 1 Kg Chlorella and 2 ponds of Blue-Green Algae that is the greens I need to have.If you have does then you have enough for a year or so depending on how much your adding this to your smoothy.

For fruits I use durian as a base that tastes good

And If I had more money I would have added the fruit/veggie poeders from this one
http://www.aussievitamin.com/Morlife/

I purchased also a juicer in 2005 which is still working good!!!

Humble Janitor 02-26-2010 12:56 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulapops (Post 244383)
Great article on toxins... Lisa... not as scary as it might seem at first if we just accept...all things in moderation...

HJ.. I have read that people who do not eat a lot of fruit... as soon as they start, they might expect to get diaorreah... I believe this has something to do with the energy in the new good food being used to purge the system. Maybe the cramps is a similar issue. However...I'm no medic! if it doesn't settle down you should see someone who knows...

But I ate a LOT of raw salad last year... and always felt better for it. the book Never Be Sick Again is well worth a read (see his video on mediaconsciousnetwork to if you're interested )

Good luck with becoming healthier ! It can't hurt ! :original:

K

Well, no diarrhea but just cramps. Not horrible and I feel ok now after I just made a berry smoothie. For now, I'll stick to fruit and veggies and add in some nuts and perhaps only a bit of dairy and grains since I need my calcium and won't give up dairy (but won't overindulge in it either).

It can only help because up to recently, I had been eating too much junk food, especially sausage & egg sandwiches as breakfast, lunch, etc.

Kulapops 02-26-2010 02:48 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Humble Janitor (Post 244447)
It can only help because up to recently, I had been eating too much junk food, especially sausage & egg sandwiches as breakfast, lunch, etc.

I've got a coupon for Subway for a bacon and egg sandwhich.. that's just staring at me from my kitchen counter.... !

A little junk is no bad thing I'm sure.... I've had practically no dairy for the past year... and I'm having some trouble with aching joints (could be all the time spent at PA!) so I'm not sure really what's healthy and what's not... for sure my calcium intake must have reduced...

though they say that the calcium in cow's milk needs huge quantities of potassium for us to assimilate...so the jury is out on whether you get much calcium from milk in reality.

Again.. I'm no nutritionist... definitely though, eating less junk and meat and milk makes you feel 'lighter'... more pure kind of energy i think...

dddanieljjjamesss 02-26-2010 03:28 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Hey there! Just wanted to say that zucchini's are really good smoothie ingredients. They blend well with sweet things like strawberries and bananas, and help you get some extra green packed in there.

Also, for protein, throw some good peanut butter into your chocolate banana shake. IT MAKES IT SO GOOD!

I lived off of veggie/fruit smoothies for an entire summer (for the most part, it would equal my breakfast and lunch because I would make a lot... then eat dinner with my family.) That's the best health I was in that I can remember.

Hard to continue, now that I live with roommates. I think the blender has collected dust :(

edit: Also I don't recommend freezing or refrigerating the smoothie unless you plan on finishing the rest of it in a few hours... especially when its heavy on the greens... it REALLY starts to congeal. you may have to end up choking it down:naughty:. Fruit smoothies at least freezes a little better, and can be a cool treat, but honestly I think everything is best consumed fresh!

dddanieljjjamesss 02-26-2010 03:32 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boober (Post 244324)
If your trying to go this route look up the homie on youtube. Liferegenarator changed my whole outlook. He will amp you up and get you off ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw0fiTCp6ac

Lol! I just have to say that I love the intro of this video....

"Hey guys, hows it goin.... Dan the Man here. East coast or west coast!? How about NO COAST!" :mfr_lol:

pureheart7 02-26-2010 03:44 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
I really like this book:The Seasonal Detox Diet: Remedies from the Ancient Cookfire by Carrie L'Esperance. She is a chef and extremely knowledgable about creating healing and nutritious combinations. She targets specific foods for specific areas of the body. She also believes in the "seasonal" attributes of food. She has recipes and juices. I have done juice fasts using her recipes and loved it.

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonal-Detox.../dp/0892819820

Namaste'

FIIISH 02-26-2010 04:29 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Go for it! :thumb_yello:

We have been doing fruit smoothies now every morning for a year.

Typical smoothies have:

Apple
Banana
Orange
Pear
Grapes
Berries

We also add supplements in including liquid calcium/magnesium, cod liver oil,
coconut oil, and green superfood.

It's a great way to start the day!

Lots of veggies for dinner. :original:

eleni 03-02-2010 06:38 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
I drink a green smoothie daily- eat primarily raw foods too. Usual blend is spinach, celery and some fruit (mango, bananas) enjoy!

Heartspace 03-02-2010 06:50 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa (Post 244331)
Humble Janitor, I love your posts!

Some food are toxic when eaten raw: http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-...tural%20toxins
Raw food can contain salmonella occasionally.
My friend who makes a raw veggie smoothie every morning said that beets & bananas are key to good taste.

Eating raw can get pretty expensive!
There are some smoothie recipes here, but the ingredients maybe expensive:
http://gliving.com/category/greenchefs/drinks/

This book recommends the following pricey equipment:
  • Excalibur Dehydrator
  • Champion Juicer (Heavy Duty Industrial Model)
  • Vita-Mix Blender (TurboBlend 4500)
  • Sumeet Grinder

I just bought a BlendTech from Costco. It's pretty pricey at almost $400 bucks but it is way superior to the Vita-Mix. Not to mention that if anything goes wrong a month from now or 5 years from now.....I can return it for a full refund. You gotta love Costco sometimes....:mfr_lol:

Humble Janitor 03-02-2010 07:13 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Still blending away here but I need to stock up on more fruits/veggies. They lasted about a week so that's good. Saves me money and I can get what I need for nutrients in a manner that won't break the bank.

Will invest in more organic, frozen fruits/veggies from now on.

Any advice on breaking up the pulpiness of an orange smoothie? Using a whole orange seems to be an issue because it creates a ton of pulp.

Greetings 03-02-2010 09:24 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
You are what you eat.


It'll be hard to subside the "craving of hunger" if you were used to getting a full feeling in the past. But if i were you, I would fast for a day with tons of liquids (mainly healthy water), and then switch to a low amount of super-foods (honey, goji, spiroulina, etc.) but still at a small amount.

Come a week, if you meditate, you'll start to notice some things.:wink2:

Luminari 03-02-2010 12:15 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
I joined this forum a few weeks ago HJ;

http://www.giveittomeraw.com/

There are other Avalon members on there too. :wink2:

mu2143 03-02-2010 12:33 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
People need to understand that the craving are not a result of needed to eat. It more a result of an addiction thats is why many people have a difficulty in switching over.

If you do not know why are you have this feeling that you call hungry ??? combating this will be then difficult

The key thing here is the get your body detoxed from all kind of poison.
I Just received my chlorella and this is a superfood which keep your body protected against toxic elements and remove any of that is stored in to your body.

I added fresh cilantro to pull the heavy metals out of your system and chlorella will carry it out of the body.

From my experience I noted that the cravings go away after a while when you start to change your food habbits. But depending on how many toxins are in the body when the cravings go away.

mu2143 03-02-2010 12:49 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
And an other thing Ill like to add is the addiction to bad food is not you that craving for it =)

The main cause is a trans dimensional parasite that makes you want to eat bad food or do bad thing it is not you!!!!

ill give you example of this when you have listen to music and it keeps playing in your mind, but you can't stop it!!! How in gods name can't you controll your own mind. Then you know why =)

futureyes 03-02-2010 01:51 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
hi hj ...
i've been creating and drinking smoothies for years now ... my boys have always loved them ... now they make their own ...
takes a bit for the body to get used to especially if one hasn't been eating many fruits and veggies prior ...
my advice would be to keep it all in moderation initially ... perhaps not adding a gazillion ingredients at the same time ...
some veggies are not very compatible ... i.e. growing together in a garden stunts their growth so when ingested together ... doesn't make one feel too good either ...
keeping ingredients to a minimum per smoothie in the beginning will allow you to know what goes and what doesn't ... what if any culprits are a discomfort to your system ...
blending's alot of fun and healthy too ... for myself it has become a part of daily life ... after a few days of travelling from home i begin to crave my smoothies ...
have fun creating hj ...

:wub2:

eleni 03-02-2010 04:47 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Humble Janitor (Post 246663)
Still blending away here but I need to stock up on more fruits/veggies. They lasted about a week so that's good. Saves me money and I can get what I need for nutrients in a manner that won't break the bank.

Will invest in more organic, frozen fruits/veggies from now on.

Any advice on breaking up the pulpiness of an orange smoothie? Using a whole orange seems to be an issue because it creates a ton of pulp.

You need a good blender - Blendtec or Vitamix. Most prefer Blendtec (my old model was a disaster though) as these blenders could gring up wood to a pulp:lol3:

Peace of mind 03-02-2010 04:54 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
The cramps will go away…
wow, just gave me some flashbacks when I first started this back in the day. Your stomach is probably saying wtf? haha. Yeah some raw foods are high in acids so certain experimentations in blending might send you scurrying to the commode. You sound like a real smoothie alchemist there LJ…just be careful you don’t blow a new hole in your rear tire...sometimes the body needs to make adjustments if it isn’t used to something.

Like Greetings suggested… every ones body takes different time periods to adjust and sometimes fasting allows for a smoother transition. The body will get used to it as it continues to purify itself.

Peace

conkroach 03-02-2010 05:42 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Smoothies are awesome. My favorite is stawberries, blueberries, whey protein powder, and avocado in almond milk. Not totally raw, but delicious, creamy, and nutritious.

If one of my smoothies congeals, I just add a tiny bit of liquid and re-blenderize it. Bingo.

Carol 03-02-2010 05:53 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
There are different combinations which make for interesting juicing flavors. One power drink is beet, apple, ginger root & carrots.. sometimes I will throw in a garlic clove if it is a veggie type drink. The apples help sweeten the taste as well.

One smoothie is protein powder, an apple (skin and all), (banana, or mango, or blueberries, or papaya) with a handful of almonds. I also add flax oil or liquid vitamins depending on what is being made.

If there are left overs you can put it in a glass jar with lid where you can shake it before drinking again. I use jelly or mayo jars that I save for left-overs like this.

HORIZONS 03-02-2010 06:18 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
The most powerful organic food additives I have found are at this website:

http://healthforce.com/home

These products are actual food and not just supplements. VERY good for you and great in a smoothie - which I enjoy. Don't forget to grind up some nuts and seeds in a coffee grinder and add them to your smoothie's.

Enjoy...

mu2143 03-05-2010 07:48 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
If found that juniper berries ward of evil spirits , hmm Ill give it a try.
It is a healty herb also, so already order 500 grams of Jb powder.


Have a look -->

http://www.glenbrookfarm.com/herbs/juniperberries.htm

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/lea...iper_berry.php

http://www.orthovitaal.nl/ov-artikel.php?art_id=3112

mu2143 03-05-2010 07:59 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Healty indeed -->
http://www.herbreference.com/juniper_berries.html

Humble Janitor 03-05-2010 08:03 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace of mind (Post 246955)
The cramps will go away…
wow, just gave me some flashbacks when I first started this back in the day. Your stomach is probably saying wtf? haha. Yeah some raw foods are high in acids so certain experimentations in blending might send you scurrying to the commode. You sound like a real smoothie alchemist there LJ…just be careful you don’t blow a new hole in your rear tire...sometimes the body needs to make adjustments if it isn’t used to something.

Like Greetings suggested… every ones body takes different time periods to adjust and sometimes fasting allows for a smoother transition. The body will get used to it as it continues to purify itself.

Peace

I actually took a short break to regroup but I just bought more frozen fruit. I don't think the blender is up to the task now because it's quite noisy and all but it still does the trick.

I almost ended up buying a Jack LaLanne power juicer but I lost interest when he showed the pulp catcher in the commercial. The pulp is where the nutrients are and basically, that's a device for people who aren't willing to take the time to make something. They just want to drop in fruit and have the machine take care of it. I prefer to take my time to create something.

Jonathon 03-06-2010 04:29 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Humble Janitor (Post 249079)
I actually took a short break to regroup but I just bought more frozen fruit. I don't think the blender is up to the task now because it's quite noisy and all but it still does the trick.

I almost ended up buying a Jack LaLanne power juicer but I lost interest when he showed the pulp catcher in the commercial. The pulp is where the nutrients are and basically, that's a device for people who aren't willing to take the time to make something. They just want to drop in fruit and have the machine take care of it. I prefer to take my time to create something.

Hola HJ,

Quite the contrary sir, the nutrients are in the juice :original: Hence why the Gerson Method is so effective. You can reap an incredible amount of nutrition from juicing due to the fact that it's impossible to consume the same amount in the whole food equivalent (you can drink 60 carrots a day, but likely won't be able to eat that amount).

Wanted to check the thread to see how you were doing and to give you a good sandwich to try - has been a major staple for me for the past year.

Ingredients:
1) A good whole grain organic bread
2) Organic Raw Almond Butter
3) Organic Raisins, Sunflower & Pumpkin seeds (can pick and choose on the seeds as they don't offer much in the way of flavor - mostly for added nutrients)
4) 1 Banana sliced into flat quarters (1 slice in middle, then slice longways)
5) Raw organic spinach - cram a good handfull in there =)

Here's a good general resource for you with regard to pesticides in the various foods you may want to bookmark. Obviously you want to go organic whenever possible:

http://whatsinmyfood.org/index.jsp

Barron 03-06-2010 06:57 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminari (Post 246781)
I joined this forum a few weeks ago HJ;

http://www.giveittomeraw.com/

There are other Avalon members on there too. :wink2:

(Yes, there certainly are!) Nudge, nudge, wink, wink! :original:

Humble Janitor 03-06-2010 07:01 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathon (Post 249707)
Hola HJ,

Quite the contrary sir, the nutrients are in the juice :original: Hence why the Gerson Method is so effective. You can reap an incredible amount of nutrition from juicing due to the fact that it's impossible to consume the same amount in the whole food equivalent (you can drink 60 carrots a day, but likely won't be able to eat that amount).

Wanted to check the thread to see how you were doing and to give you a good sandwich to try - has been a major staple for me for the past year.

Ingredients:
1) A good whole grain organic bread
2) Organic Raw Almond Butter
3) Organic Raisins, Sunflower & Pumpkin seeds (can pick and choose on the seeds as they don't offer much in the way of flavor - mostly for added nutrients)
4) 1 Banana sliced into flat quarters (1 slice in middle, then slice longways)
5) Raw organic spinach - cram a good handfull in there =)

Here's a good general resource for you with regard to pesticides in the various foods you may want to bookmark. Obviously you want to go organic whenever possible:

http://whatsinmyfood.org/index.jsp

So if the ingredients are in the juice, umm, huh? I'm confused now.

New habits take a while to set in with me so it'll take time to gradually change my diet to where I want it. I've tried to balance out anything unsavory with something healthy.

In regards to fruits, I was unable to find organic frozen fruit at one supermarket but it can be found at two others so I will just have to frequent the supermarkets that have what I need for now.

mu2143 03-11-2010 07:42 PM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
I visited a farm again that I used to go to and found out that there growing
now organic Purple and Yellow carrots.

There automaticly added to my dieet
Most of them I saw where sold , I just purchased them what was left

So
My basic foods on the moment I put in the blender are

Durian
Orange,yellow, purple carrot
Blue green Algae

Cheapest I found on the net and it is a powerfull food to add to your dieet
I received it a view days ago and it is the Blue green Algae (color and smell different that from chlorella)

http://www.capsuline.com/product_inf...roducts_id=162

Chlorella
Coconut oil
pump
Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds

And anything from herbs and any other foods I can find
http://www.healingfoodreference.com/

Devakas 03-12-2010 04:45 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Hi Humble Janitor

What great suggestions and recipes for a paradise health here in this thread. Thanks for sharing.
I did not see on Avalon mentioning Arnold Ehret and his book The Mucusless Diet and Healing System.
What I remember is He was an Austrian doctor in last century and after his life research he stated that humans are fruit eaters. He tried for himself to eat only fruits, he felt full of energy and health, even a cut wound with blood healed in next day and no pain felt at all. Later he introduced to his diet eggs, later he added meat and made conclusions that a wound did not heal for a long time, he felt pain and etc.
He cured many sick with his fruit diet.
I should admit this book convinced many to became complete vegetarians.
He states that there are plenty nutrients in a single fruit, such as banana or apple and the passion to mix many is completely not necessary. Kinda ok to go with a banana for a week and apple for next.

Many who followed his advice achieved such a state that even after long walks for people the body feels weightless, no tiredness or less energy at all.
He also says the fruits should not be canned, frozen or cooked. As all vitamins reduced in this state.
For superb health, full energy to the max he advices to have fasting days.
He states that any disease creates mucus in a body, this is why he suggests mucusless diet to ease body.
The book realy changes life and the all philosophy of our understanding about human food.

I support your great decision to go raw, hope learn from you more good outcomes.
http://www.projectavalon.org/forum/p...pictureid=9787

http://www.projectavalon.org/forum/p...pictureid=9787

Humble Janitor 03-12-2010 08:19 AM

Re: Giving raw food a shot
 
Actually, I've read that fruit that is frozen immediately after picking, retains more of the nutrients that would otherwise be lost.

I don't know who's right here but I still feel good after a smoothie a day or so.

I don't know about going further on this diet as I don't even want it to be a diet. I've started taking thyroid meds again after being off of them for a long time. I probably won't need them after a while if I can increase the amount of nutrients that I get. Regardless, my goal is to drop some weight and create more energy that I can burn throughout the day for whatever tasks I need to do (school, work, etc).


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Project Avalon